VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: remote machine  (Read 3171 times)

desmogiallo

remote machine
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:50:04 pm »

Hi.
I have an old pc (amd k6 200 mhz, 64 mb ram) and I'd like to use it as a router.
Here's the sketch of what I'm thinking abaut:

(router) - ethernet switch ---------pc 1 (linux)
                                    \--------laptop (linux)
                                    \--------laptop (whatever)
                                    \--------??

The fact is...can I use the router without monitor/keyboard/mouse? In other words, my idea is to use a graphic remote control (on pc1) in order to activate the router.
On pc1 I use the latest Vectorlinux, while on the "router" there's the Vector 5.1 already installed. Yet I could just leave the router without a gui-mode, but I could set some useful apps as well, even if it's not a powerful machine.

Is that possible? And...how
:) thanks

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: remote machine
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 01:20:23 pm »

Yes, you can do that, there is a lot of linux distros specialy made with this porpouse, check this:
http://librenix.com/?inode=3585
You can find more with google. Will be a lot more easy than configure VL5.1 to do the same thing. Just my idea. In other hand, that hardware is too good for a router mini-distro. So, I would do that: get an older 486 with 32mb, configure a router distro on it, and make that k6 the pc #5.
Hope this help, please post back if dont, and let us know how it goes...

EDIT: here is the project home:
http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:17:15 pm by rbistolfi »
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!