VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:40:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I can install VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso  (Read 6765 times)
galinha

« on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:36 am »

Hello :

I new in Linux.

I tried a lots of live cds and i believe that Vector Linux is the Fastest.

I have a tablet PC with a transmeta 1 ghz and 768 ram.

I Have windows xp installed in C drive

I have a D drive free

I boot from the cd VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso and i got this  " ERROR ERROR ! I could not  find the install media on the hard disc or cd rom as well........."

What i have to do ?

In the end i will have a dual boot to chose ?

Thanks a lot

Luis.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:16:12 am »

It sounds like you may have burned the ISO file to a cd so now your cd contains one file and it's named 'VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso'.  If this is the case then you burned the ISO incorrectly.

The ISO file is a CD image file, think of it more like a very special zip file.  The ISO needs to be burned to CD using the 'burn image' option of your burning software (what burning software are you using?).  When you use this option, everything that's contained in the "very special zip file" is extracted and burned to CD.  In the end the CD contains many, many, many files on it - not just one.

Note: Don't try to extract the file using winzip or any other zipping-type software.  Your burning software will deal with it correctly once you tell it to burn an image to CD.

HTH
galinha

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 08:22:16 am »

Thnks but the iso creation was ok. I have all the structure of the instalation in the CD....if wasnt like that the cd wont boot !!!

Its another problem.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:46:04 am »

...and i got this  " ERROR ERROR ! I could not  find the install media on the hard disc or cd rom as well........."

Luis: when you downloaded the iso file did you check its viability with md5sum?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
galinha

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:56:22 am »

No..... what is the checkcum  of VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso ? What i have downloaded is a74e36523069fdb1829f975cfb21e34b

Thnks
galinha

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 09:32:29 am »

a74e36523069fdb1829f975cfb21e34b The chek sums match.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 10:21:25 am »

I boot from the cd VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso and i got this  " ERROR ERROR ! I could not  find the install media on the hard disc or cd rom as well........."

At what point during installation do you get this error message?  Is it at the point that VL attempts to find the installation media?  If so, I've had this issue in the past a couple times.  I found that it was a hit-or-miss situation - sometimes it found it and sometimes it didn't.  I can't remember what I did exactly to solve the problem but it may have been as simple as opening and closing the cd tray and trying again; or maybe it was simply rebooting the system and when I got to that point again I just answered the question as quickly as possible before the cd spins-down.

HTH
galinha

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:56:10 am »

Thnks.

I think my problem is that im using a USB cd drive.

If i install via windows i will be able to have dual boot for xp or Vector ?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:26:22 am »

If you can get VL installed alongside of Windows (different partitions of course) you should certainly be able to dual boot VL or windows.  However, I'm not experienced in installing via the normal CD-ROM drive method and am not sure that you _can_ install VL from within Windows - but, again, I'm not experienced in any kind of installation besides normal CD-ROM method.

Someone more experienced than myself can certainly help you get it installed using an alternative method, of which, there are several.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in the alternative installtion realm.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:01:04 pm »

What, like this?

http://www.vectorlinux.com/Docs/vl50/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
galinha

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 12:07:35 am »

Yes ...but i cant get xp in dos mode.

I so sad that i couldnt install vector....
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 12:10:53 am »

Yes ...but i cant get xp in dos mode.

I so sad that i couldnt install vector....

Pardon my ignorance: what does "DOS mode" mean exactly? Is it just running 'cmd', or is it something else? Whenever I use Windoof and I need something resembling a command interpreter, I just go Start -> Run and type in 'cmd'.

galinha

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 12:15:44 am »

i only can install vector if i out the computer in Dos real mode  , nedd to boot in msdos.
XP dont have a real ms dos.

Run cmd open a window with dos prompt , But windows will be runing.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 12:49:08 am »

i only can install vector if i out the computer in Dos real mode  , nedd to boot in msdos.
XP dont have a real ms dos.

Run cmd open a window with dos prompt , But windows will be runing.

You could try FreeDOS.

stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 04:06:45 am »

You can probably put the iso file into the root of the C drive(assuming it is FAT32, if not, I don't know) then insert the cd and it will install fine. Or, you can use another linux livecd and use the direct iso to linux host method

4.3 Direct ISO on a Linux Host

If you have another Linux running on the computer, this method will be easy. You need to download the following files into a directory (e.g: /home/download):
The chosen VectorLinux ISO image file.
vlinstall-iso
Find it as “install/vinstall/vinstall-iso” within the FTP site
Now go to the text console (press Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login as root. Proceed as follows:
Switch to run level 2 (or 3 in Slackware/Redhat, etc)
init 2 <enter>
Go to the directory where you downloaded the files, i.e.: /home/download
cd /home/download<enter>
Now, install using the ISO file
./vinstall-iso vl-5.0.iso <enter>

In this case, the command is "./vinstall-iso VL-5.8-std-Gold.iso"
It might also occur that it will say, not logged in as root, or runlevel not 2 even if you are. To overcome this, edit the vinstall-iso file and go to the last few lines. Remove the ones that say check and run it again. This should install it for you.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: