VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 05:58:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with this picture?  (Read 4210 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: May 19, 2007, 10:09:59 pm »

What's wrong with this picture?
http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/05/linux-lite-small-distros-for-old.html

Did this blogger have a bad experience with VL or something? He left out the fastest distro on the planet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 11:45:17 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:32:45 pm »

Looks like a new guy on the topic of Linux, and on a blog for that matter. Obviously hasn't searched around. Anyone with any thorough experience would have at least used Google Search , where he might have found himself making the wrong statements  Wink
This happens though  Grin
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 02:37:04 pm »

With VL at over 2GB to load up I don't think it falls into the "small, lite" area anymore..

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »

VectorLinux 5.8 Standard             551 MB

Fluxbuntu                                    309 MB

Zenwalk                                       424 MB

SAM Linux                                    699 MB

DeLi Linux                                    131 MB

Absolute                                       676 MB

DSL                                                50 MB

Puppy                                             89 MB

Xubuntu                                       565 MB
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:18:44 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »

...yeah , but those are just the sizes of the ISO files - the actual install after decompression is of course MUCH larger and gamfa is correct - about 2.2GB of space needed for a full VL5.8 Standard install, so in comparison to Puppy and DSL we are much larger. I have removed a lot of references to small and light on our website recently and have concentrated in speed, stability and security instead. I have also made it a lot more obvious what the minimum hardware requirements are for VL now...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:42:18 am »

...yeah , but those are just the sizes of the ISO files - the actual install after decompression is of course MUCH larger and gamfa is correct - about 2.2GB of space needed for a full VL5.8 Standard install, so in comparison to Puppy and DSL we are much larger. I have removed a lot of references to small and light on our website recently and have concentrated in speed, stability and security instead. I have also made it a lot more obvious what the minimum hardware requirements are for VL now...

Ah yes, that does make sense.
I guess we can't be considered a small sized, minimal distro anymore. But older versions of VL are still available for downloading, which do fit into that area (which was what I was thinking about when reading that link).
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 12:58:45 am »

I am rather surprised at the inclusion of Zenwalk; it would not be my first choice for installing on an older computer (especially one with less than 512Mb of RAM).

Quote from: Zenwalk's Jean-Philippe Guillemin in this interview
Let me first clarify that Zenwalk is not designed for use on old hardware (for example there is no ISA (Industry Standard Architecture) bus support in Zenwalk). Zenwalk is designed to provide the optimal responsiveness that you can expect from a GNU/Linux operating system.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 03:24:32 am »

Ubuntu is the obvious choice for most people, but when that person is stuck on a 400MHz Pentium II laptop with 128MB of RAM, it might not be such a good idea. So, here are some small distributions that get the job done on old systems, too.

The hypothetical test box is what caught my eye, not so much the lite label. VL 5.8 Standard would be ideal for this laptop, or a desktop with similar specs. For a 400 MHz machine one would expect a 4.3 to 6.4 GB hard drive, surely not less than 3.2 GB.

I researched lite distributions for a friend with 133mhz/16mb ram/2.1GB hdd laptop. I recall the negative feedback for UbuntuLite, that it was so slow and bulky it was hardly "lite". During the research I came across a nice little distro named VectorLinux. I also did a close comparison of VL and Xubuntu on a P3/450mhz, and it was "no contest".

I would say, the most glaring error of the article was not mentioning Puppy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:04:16 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 02:55:07 pm »

I recently installed Standard 5.1 on my mom's old computer.

That thing has a 650 MHz processor and 64 MB RAM, and if it weren't for the fact that DDC probing mysteriously freezes the system with 5.8, I could have easily put that on instead.

The hard disk is 15 GB. I don't think the distro install size disqualifies VL as a light distro, especially when KDE et al. are strictly optional.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: