VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:03:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install issues.  (Read 4383 times)
majinzero

« on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:50 am »

I'm trying to get this on a nigh 10 year old laptop.

366 Mhz, 128 RAM 10 gig HDD.

I format 3 partions, swap, /, and home.

The install gets as far as completing the package install, but then I just have a completely black screen.

Is the install bombing out? What could be going wrong?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:11:01 am »

Is your / (root) directory set as active?  Did you install lilo to the mbr?  And, is / the first partition on your system?
majinzero

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:15:31 am »

Is your / (root) directory set as active?  Did you install lilo to the mbr?  And, is / the first partition on your system?

Honestly don't know what you mean by "active" no, I had the swap as the first partion, and I didn't get as far as the lilo install.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:03 am »

By 'active' I meant bootable - an option that's available during partitioning.  Sorry about that.

Also, I assumed you were using VL 5.8 Standard Gold, but that could be an erroneous assumption.  Which release are you installing?

Last, I interpreted 'completing the package install' to mean that you finished installing and upon reboot all you received as a black/blank screen - another bad ASSumption on my part.

I think that a bit more information on the vl release, your partition scheme, and graphics card may help.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:39:51 am »

In my experience that sort of thing is usually the result of:

1) the / partition is not large enough: it needs to be 2.2GB at least for VL5.8 Standard (I am assuming you are installing VLstandard?).
2) a faulty hard disk
3) bad memory chip
4) something else wrong with your partitioning.

Go back into the installer, on the second screen choose "Exit (bailout to the shell)". Type "fdisk -l" and post the results of that to this thread and perhaps we can help you. Also watch the kernel messages at the beginning of the install - watch for any possible error messages associated with your hard drive (hda).

EDIT!!!: The other thing is it could be just your BIOS blanking out your screen, depending on how your ACPI is set up in BIOS. Press the Shift key when your screen goes black. Does that help?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:41:54 am by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
majinzero

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 10:41:49 am »

I'm using the standard install, and the hardware is all good, I have Xubuntu up and running fine on it. I did not make the / bootable is all.

I'll make sure to make / bootable and I think that'll fix it.
majinzero

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:33:50 pm »

Ok.

I made my / partition bootable, and the first partition on the disk, and the same thing happens.

After installing the packages; it just gives me a completely black screen. Doesn't move on the the next part of the install process.
majinzero

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:01:39 pm »

ah-ha!

you have to go in and install lilo after all this; kinda counter intuitive that lilo isn't installed as part of the "install" proccess.

But got lilo on here, and the install continued, and I'm now at the desk top
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:12:33 pm »

kinda counter intuitive that lilo isn't installed as part of the "install" proccess.
Yes it is. You must have missed it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: