VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Raw editing  (Read 42 times)

mikey62

• user
Raw editing
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:12:59 pm »

Does anyone know of a good raw image editing program which will run on Vector, and how to compile/install it?  I have tried to install Raw Therapee and Darktable, but they wouldn't launch.  I have tried the SlackBuild packages and also the Alien ones.  Incidentally, I am currently using the VLocity 7.2 beta version.

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: Raw editing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 11:13:17 pm »

Hi mikey62
Have you used the included gthumb and gimp for viewing and editing? I like geeqie also as viewer, it is available in the repository.

the guys are likely busy with the 7.2 beta2 or rc but you could make a build request for darktable in the new package request threads nearer the bottom of the forum.

both therapee and darktable are gaining popularity as they improve, I think darktable has been in the repository in the past but is currently not available as the new release usually see refreshed repository and as such the request for favorite apps, at least that can be built if someone has time. you would likely be ask to test any builds and get it sorted.

great crew here but one must appreciate its limited size. I note that libraw and libopenraw are also available in the repository if they are required for viewing raw images in gthumb or geeqie, or your installs. the gslapt package manager is on the system menu.  hope that helps
cheers
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:16:16 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

mikey62

• user
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:28:13 am »

Thanks overthere.  That is helpful.  I took your advice and installed Geeqie, and that will display my raw files.  I also managed to install the ufraw plugin for GIMP from the developer's website.  Ufraw allows some editing.  Maybe I'll ask the Vector team to look into the Darktable issue.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »

Yes.Great, that should give you all the basic raw functionality and it never hurts to ask.
cheers
Everything Is Relative