VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: javac and javah aren't in java/bin/  (Read 6111 times)

jason.vector

javac and javah aren't in java/bin/
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »

Hi, I've installed VL 5.8 standart gold and it came with java 1.5.0_9-b1 or something like that. the problem is that in bin there is no javac , javah or javap. what should i do? I really need those ones.
thanks in advance

newt

• Vectorian
Re: javac and javah aren't in java/bin/
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:14:37 pm »

I believe you're looking for Java Standard Edition (JavaSE), and I believe only the Java Runtime Environment is installed by default.  You could grab JavaSE from java.sun.com and install it yourself.  Hope this helps.

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 06:39:36 am »

newtor is right, what you want is the Java SDK. You can download it here.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

All you need to do after is to run the file you download
Code: [Select]
sh <downloaded file>
Agree to the terms and it will extract the whole package in the folder you are in. You would want to add the <folder>/bin to your $PATH so you can access it anywhere.
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:36:29 am »

You could also download the JDK as a Slackware package from slackware-current. You can find it here: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/extra/jdk-6/ It will work just fine with any recent version of VL, since it's just a repackaging of binaries pre-built by Sun.

The advantage of installing a Slackware package as opposed to installing it from the installer provided by Sun is that removal is a lot easier with a Slack package.

HTH,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

jason.vector

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:40:46 pm »

thanks for the replys. I´ve downloaded te JDK but first i´ve unaistalled the jre using gslapt (why do this cause weird troubles?) and istalled the slackware  package , no problem!