Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: javac and javah aren't in java/bin/  (Read 6027 times)

jason.vector

javac and javah aren't in java/bin/
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:17:48 pm »
Hi, I've installed VL 5.8 standart gold and it came with java 1.5.0_9-b1 or something like that. the problem is that in bin there is no javac , javah or javap. what should i do? I really need those ones.
thanks in advance

newt

• Vectorian
Re: javac and javah aren't in java/bin/
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:14:37 pm »
I believe you're looking for Java Standard Edition (JavaSE), and I believe only the Java Runtime Environment is installed by default.  You could grab JavaSE from java.sun.com and install it yourself.  Hope this helps.

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 05:39:36 am »
newtor is right, what you want is the Java SDK. You can download it here.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

All you need to do after is to run the file you download
Code: [Select]
sh <downloaded file>
Agree to the terms and it will extract the whole package in the folder you are in. You would want to add the <folder>/bin to your $PATH so you can access it anywhere.
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:36:29 am »
You could also download the JDK as a Slackware package from slackware-current. You can find it here: http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/extra/jdk-6/ It will work just fine with any recent version of VL, since it's just a repackaging of binaries pre-built by Sun.

The advantage of installing a Slackware package as opposed to installing it from the installer provided by Sun is that removal is a lot easier with a Slack package.

HTH,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

jason.vector

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 08:40:46 pm »
thanks for the replys. I´ve downloaded te JDK but first i´ve unaistalled the jre using gslapt (why do this cause weird troubles?) and istalled the slackware  package , no problem!