VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 11:45:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboard driven applications to make your life easier  (Read 16658 times)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« on: May 17, 2007, 12:47:11 am »

This thread is intended to be a "tips 'n' tricks" on applications or configurations that have improved your computer experience.
The idea started here : http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2996.0

If this thread grows enough, we can clean it up and split it by application (ratpoison / vim should own a thread on their own) or even move it to the howto section (title: howto improve your pc experience avoiding RSI).

Please, don't hesitate posting.  A little trick you think everyone might know can save hours to someone else Wink

I'll start with a simple but quite neat config:

open your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (or create it), and write

Code:
gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs" 

This will enable the standard emacs/bash shortcuts in most gtk apps (firefox address bar, or even inside html text areas)

Cheers!

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:46:50 am »

I remember doing one like this. It got sidetracked quickly (mostly by a persistent troll), but there are some useful nuggets:

http://www.liberalavenger.com/2007/03/22/open-thread-technology-advice-edition/

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:57:30 am »

Making your linux behave like VIM I
-----------------------------------

Vimperator : http://vimperator.mozdev.net/
A plugin for firefox that makes the browser behave as vim.
It's in early  stage but it's really usable, and makes you feel at home.

Appart from typical comands (:q,gg,G,h,j,k,l...) it has a hit-a-hint-like link navigation system.

It really changed my browsing experience.

EMACS users can use conkeror (another ff plugin) or conkeror-xr (an
      independant browser, using XUL)
URL: http://conkeror.mozdev.org
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:43:32 pm by kidd » Logged

TomEd

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:00:45 am »

I used conkeror for a while a couple of months back, but I missed tabs too much, so now I'm just using hit-a-hint.

One of the most important things for keyboard control for me is mapping "caps-lock" to "control".  This is mentioned in a lot of places over the web, but I thought it still needed to be said.  To do this I put

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

in .Xmodmap.

You can then get the mapping going using:

xmodmap .Xmodmap

Something that I've always wanted to do is map my right "shift" to "Mod1". Following the same form as the above doesn't seem to work. Any ideas, anyone?

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:43:16 pm »

I used conkeror for a while a couple of months back, but I missed tabs too much, so now I'm just using hit-a-hint.

One of the most important things for keyboard control for me is mapping "caps-lock" to "control".  This is mentioned in a lot of places over the web, but I thought it still needed to be said.  To do this I put

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_lock = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

in .Xmodmap.

You can then get the mapping going using:

xmodmap .Xmodmap

Something that I've always wanted to do is map my right "shift" to "Mod1". Following the same form as the above doesn't seem to work. Any ideas, anyone?

Conkeror supports tabs (they call them buffers, as in emacs) but they're hidden, so you have no visual feedback about how many buffers you have opened.  I can't tell you more about conkeror because I used it only for a month (vimperator came out and really caught me).

you can catch any keystroke with xev, and then remap one key to other with xmodmap.  I have no examples here... sorry Sad 

TomEd

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »

Alright...I don't know what I'd been doing wrong, but this works:

remove Shift = Shift_R
keysym Shift_R = Alt_L
add Mod1 = Alt_L

This leaves Alt_L and Shift_R as Mod1.

Now, I've just got to train my little finger!  Smiley
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:33:28 pm »

xmodmap -e 'keysym Super_L = Multi_key'

I don't know much about X keyboard conventions, but that maps left Windoze key to do character composition for me. e.g. 'a' + 'e' -> 'æ'. That's the All-snippet for me.

Useful to write things quickly like: "Det här är det lättaste språket i hela världen."

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:08:08 am »

Xpdf configs to make it vi-like
-------------------------------------
Xpdf do accept the "standard" hjkl provided you add in your ~/.Xdefaults the following line:

Code:
xpdf.viKeys: true

now my ~/.xpdfrc :

Code:
initialZoom width
continuousView yes

This makes uing xpdf more intuitive IMO.

I hope it's useful for someone else ;p

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 11:53:13 am »

Caveat:

I removed xpdf personally, but it's likely that continuous view eats up a lot of memory. Something to observe for those with low memory systems.

The vi keys are nice anyway.

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 04:05:28 am »

The console is by far the most executed program in my pc, so it's worth to spend some time testing alternatives.

Konsole and terminal (xfce) are not the kind of app I'm looking for, as they steal shortcuts (I'm sure it's configurable), so for some time I've been using aterm,much faster than xterm (I don't need xterm 'extra' features), but it has some refreshing issues.

Now I've discovered rxvt-unicode.  It's scriptable in perl, and it has some cool features, like scrollback search.

That's what I'm using atm, but  suggestions are welcome Smiley.

Regarding shell matters, I switched from bash to zsh some time ago, and I'm really satisfied with the change.

HTH,

PS: Anyone used wmii? opinions?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:18:33 am by kidd » Logged

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 09:52:46 am »

Re wmii, yes I used it for a few days. But unless one is willing to spend a lot of time memorizing its various window manipulation commands then it is too fiddly, IMHO. I suggest you tape its command list to the side of your monitor/screen - otherwise it gets a bit frustrating.

rxvt is my favourite terminal app also. Very powerful and very lightweight. Have you discovered "screen" yet?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 10:15:55 am »

rxvt is my favourite terminal app also. Very powerful and very lightweight. Have you discovered "screen" yet?

Screen is the 2nd app I install in each box I have to spend more than 10 mins.  It's so great, once you discover it you ask yourself:
- How did I survived until now?

My wm of choice uses the same shortcuts as screen, but changing ctrl-a for ctrl-t.   1 Set of shortcuts to rule them all.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »

Thnks kidd for this thread, I am starting to follow your advices, hmmm may be you will convert one for your cause. I started to use vimperator and its nice, some sites are unusables, because they lock the "console" and I cant input no commands anymore, but are just a few ones. I will try some wm too, if I can make the time. I really like to keep things very minimalistics, so, keep those tricks coming!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 08:37:46 pm »

I wonder who else here uses the 'find' command as frequently as I do. The applications are truly limitless. Ex., replace '-O2' with '-O2 -march=i586 -mtune=i686' in all Makefiles in and below the current directory (recursive search):

Code:
find . -name Makefile -exec perl -i -pwnle 's/-O2/-march=i586 -mtune=i686/g;' {} \;

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 08:39:08 pm »

IPython is by far the best interactive programming language shell I've ever used on any platform ever:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

Check it out

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: