VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 08:25:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.8 SOHO FINAL RELEASED!!!  (Read 33482 times)
jeffles

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2007, 09:41:10 am »

After installing suse 10.2 on my desktop I decided to give it the boot. Since I have been running Vector SOHO on my A21 Thinkpad (700mhz, 384mb ram) I decided to try 5.8 SOHO on my desktop... WHAT A GREAT DECISION! The desktop is polished and beautiful.
The only thing I miss from suse is the integrated beagle search... absolutely nothing else. The Nvidia drivers work (not so on suse).
I can't wait to install 5.8 on my thinkpad.
Thanks for all your hard work.
jeff
leobing

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 08:45:21 pm »

I am running it and I think it is about the best Linux version I have tried.
No blemishes or problems. It installs easily and just plain runs well. I can install everything I have tried and no hickups.
Excellent work. Thanks much to all the people who worked on it.

LINUX: no virus, no worms, no spyware, so why Microsoft?
keyfitter

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 06:31:43 pm »

I have been using Vector Linux since the end of December 2006. I was happy with 5.8 Deluxe as my main O.S until I downloaded and tried 5.8. SOHO. I am impressed to say the least. I built this computer with speed in mind, and 5.8 SOHO  really flies on it as well as looking great!.  Grin
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2007, 12:52:13 am »

Weird: When,during install, I chose not to install the screensaver, the installation barfed out upon unpacking either the OOo- or the Kernelsource-package.
Install went without a hitch as soon as I allowed that piece to "get on the bus" with the rest....

Good: Boots and responds noticably faster in all regards than 5.8 stnd on exactly the same machine, even though the stnd-version uses a (supposedly) "lighter" WM.....
How's that?
Did KDE shape up, or what?

<Lame sig>
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2007, 01:06:13 am »

xfce is not a very light wm like icewm, but a full desktop environment like kde. Also, people just seem to like saying kde is slow. I hardly notice it being slow, except when I need realtime performance for Jack on my old p3 600 MHz. For that purpose both xfce and kde are too heavy and I go back to good old IceWM.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2007, 08:01:39 am »

Headacher:  On any distro other than VL SOHO I find KDE to be incredibly sluggish on my Toshiba laptop, an old 1GHz Celeron with 512MB of RAM.  For example:  Xubuntu with Xfce is quite fast while Kubuntu, the same base code with a KDE desktop, is very sluggish.  Ditto Mandriva.  VL SOHO is the only distro where KDE runs quickly on that box.   Plain and simple fact:  KDE keeps a daemon running (dcop server) where other desktop environments do not, and KDE in general consumes more memory than GNOME, which in turn consumes more memory than Xfce.  The fact that KDE is so very responsive on VL SOHO is quite an accomplishment and something the VL developers should be proud of.

Yes, Xfce consumes more memory than IceWM and offers more features.  PekWM or JWM consume far less memory than IceWM and run even faster on a really low end box.  It's always a trade off between performance and features.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
down8ve

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 02:21:04 pm »

I've now replaced my SuSE 10.2 install with vector and am very impressed.  I have a home-built Pentium D 805/nVidia 7300GT system that has tried many variants of Ubuntu, Suse, and PCLos.

Linux Mint was the reigning champ.  The latest release is quite terrific, with the only uneasy part being the nvidia install via Envy. As much as I enjoyed it, I liked the flow and feel of KDE over Gnome.  Perhaps it had to do with the flickering of the screen when entering administrative tasks, or the lack of polish around the edges.

PCLinux 2007 had some tactile issues for me as well, even after trying  five different installs with different discs.  It was nice for the most part, but had some issues when copying large files.  Add to that the WinXP theme and, well, some errors and crashes that openSuSE did not have.

Be on the lookout for Linux Mint's new KDE version, due any time now.  Their last one was not too bad.  It's just I'm enjoying Vector much more.  I still cannot get over the speed!

Thanks,

DSM
VecPad

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:19 am »

This is just an amazing distro. Not everything works as smoothly as in others I have tried, but given a little time to customize my system (probably far less than I've spent tweaking Arch systems) I think it will be perfect. It surprised me that users will settle for a slow KDE distro like Sabayon when they could use one that, on decent hardware, renders everything instantly. Especially with all the codecs and such installed, which is one thing that strangely makes people favor one distro wildly over another, although it's very easy to setup manually.

Great job guys! In the "usable Slackware" battle, I hate to say it, but in many ways you're blowing Zenwalk out of the water. I love that distro too, and have used it for many months, but it has a long way to go before it will be suitable for most everyday users.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2007, 04:02:52 am »

Hmmm...
Just ran into a problem with this version:

Whenever I play some sort of compressed audio-format, be it MP3(juck!) or FLAC, the sound gets all distorted like the woofer of the HiFi-speakers are busted.
Y'know; the low, "wobbly" kind of distorion. Highly annoying.

At first, I thought either my headphone or soundcard (or both)was/were ready to croak, but in a flash of insight I decided to try it on one of the other installations, I keep on my machine.

Guess what?
No soundproblems on them...
I tried it on Vl 5.8 std, 5.01SOHO and the old 4.3.

What was changed in the sound-handling between them and the current SOHO?
And more important: How can I solve it?

<Lame sig>
ds1

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2007, 12:27:24 am »

I'm a windows user, trying to check out linux, and I'm willing but unable.  Huh

Like a previous poster, my Cd burner (Nero), says 'out of space' when I've tried to burn the image -  I've tried trial versions of other software but with the same result, apparently it's 48Mb overloaded. As I don't have linux installed yet I can't use "kb3".

Any suggestions? Eg, is there stuff I can delete from the iso to free up enough space?

Thanks
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:00 am »

It sounds as though you're using 650 MB CD blanks. You need 700 MB ones.

Eric
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 10:52:19 am »

I have been away for a while. I installed Pardus on my laptop. Not bad at all, but the community needs some growing. When trying to install my printer  I installed VL 5.8 SOHO because I felt more comfortable sorting it out with VL (and pardus is too heavy for an old PIII 500. And now I have to push away Pardus from the laptop  Wink

The desktop them, isn't quite .... my style. But changing is easy.
Pidgin in combination with gmail is great. Good choice.

I only wondered why 5 webbrowsers, 2 mailprograms, 3 pictureviewers, and so on? choice matters Huh On the other hand: great to see VLC standard installed.

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 02:42:34 pm »

I wish more people realized that!  Wink
I only wondered why 5 webbrowsers, 2 mailprograms, 3 pictureviewers, and so on? choice matters Huh On the other hand: great to see VLC standard installed.
I think you just answered your own question. Its because if you read through the development or bug threads you will see folks requesting this app over that app and we try to keep everyone happy. That's why VLC was included along with mplayer, xine, amarok, NoAtun, Kaboodle etc, etc, etc....personally I would prefer to see one good app for each service, rather than the plethora of redundant applications that we currently provide - and let those who want other things download and install them with gslapt. Just my humble opinion of course....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »

Quote from: lighans
Same here.

I only wondered why 5 webbrowsers, 2 mailprograms, 3 pictureviewers, and so on? choice matters
The webbrowsers is a little overkill, but then again everybody has strong feelings about what webbrowser should be default since we linux users do a lot of browsing Wink. One question would be if including the Dillo makes sense since SOHO is absolutely not lightweight. I usually just remove seamonkey and Opera as I have no use for it. Konqueror is a fine filemanager IMO, but I don't use it for browsing either.

The image viewers are all part of the kdegraphics package. I can't answer why you'd want 3 of those though, I always thought some of the kde* packages are a little too bloated. kdemultimedia for instance has 3 (!) media players in it. I never use any of those either. IMO kde could be a lot better without all this overkill. But then again kde is a lot easier to install and upgrade than gnome. kde's bloat is part of the deal.

On the other hand: great to see VLC standard installed.
Too bad the VLC on SOHO doesn't work properly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:00:47 pm by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 06:06:48 am »

I wish more people realized that!  Wink
I think you just answered your own question. Its because if you read through the development or bug threads you will see folks requesting this app over that app and we try to keep everyone happy. That's why VLC was included along with mplayer, xine, amarok, NoAtun, Kaboodle etc, etc, etc....personally I would prefer to see one good app for each service, rather than the plethora of redundant applications that we currently provide - and let those who want other things download and install them with gslapt. Just my humble opinion of course....
I feel the ambivalence (-; And adding it to the optional programs doesn't make the installation more smoother. I understand it's a chicken-egg question.
Maybe there could be a decision to make SOHO stripped and add an "bloat"-package to the installation, which adds the rest. (well it was ment as a joke, but it feels like a solution for me  Wink )

The image viewers are all part of the kdegraphics package. I can't answer why you'd want 3 of those though, I always thought some of the kde* packages are a little too bloated. kdemultimedia for instance has 3 (!) media players in it. I never use any of those either. IMO kde could be a lot better without all this overkill. But then again kde is a lot easier to install and upgrade than gnome. kde's bloat is part of the deal.
I didn't realize KDE is doing that to itself!
I'm trying dophin instead of konquerer.
Followed  your advice and started removing things (and adding Ktorrent)

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: