VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 02:16:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.8 SOHO FINAL RELEASED!!!  (Read 33334 times)
jimwill

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 05:29:42 pm »

Darn...and I just finished downloading RC3!!!  Grin
Oh well-now I can get the FINAL that I've been waiting for  Grin Grin

Thanks yall, I do appreciate it!!

Jim
niiler

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 06:08:43 pm »

Nice job everyone.  I put it on a friend's old PIII (450 MHz, 192 MB RAM) this evening.  My only issue was that the ATI card didn't configure properly and I spent about 15 minutes screwing around with xorg.conf before just using xorg.conf-vesa.  For some reason *none* of the ATI drivers would work, but this could be because of the age of the card.

Once up  Grin!  For comparison, on my own laptop I am running a heavily modified VL 5.8 standard with KDE 3.5.5.  My laptop sports 512 MB RAM and an AMD Sempron Processor 3300 (2.0 GHz etc).  KDE starts faster on the old clunker than on my laptop.  The desktop is snappy and took about 1.5 hours to configure (including printing, scanning and, well, the works - including backups).  OpenOffice starts in about 6 seconds from first click!  Paging between desktops happens in about a second.  My laptop feels a tad slow in some areas. 

The only thing that didn't work well was Xine playing a DVD.  This was because of the VESA vs. ATI stuff, I'm sure.  On the other hand, we went to the Apple trailers site and the previews played without dropping a frame.

Additionally, all mime types seem to be properly configured. 

Very Nice!  I'll be upgrading my laptop next week, and my father-in-law the week after.  Thanks!
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »

My burner says it's too big for a 700Mb CD.
What software did you use?

Sweet action! Was about to, rather belatedly, install RC3. Glad I noticed this first! Thanks for such an awesome distro!  Cheesy

DrCR
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

Downloading now, thanks to all for the hard work in getting this out the door.....
Codo

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 03:08:17 am »

Grin I can`t wait until i can install my VectorLinux Soho!!!! Great job! I`m in the moon. Congratulations for all the team!

There are many things that I must  do before I die. But I'm Brazilian and I never give up.
Vector Standard 6.0 - Xfce
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 08:19:35 am »

Burned just fine with KB3.... Burned and installed. Flawless as usual. Good job folks.

It's this stupid burn utility in Vista "Premium."  I'm gonna hafta download and
burn from my PCLinuxOS machine at home. 

Looks like everyone's enjoying the new Vector SOHO;  I can hardly wait.  Yay.  Grin
nj_jak

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 03:49:24 am »

Super!!

Have just installed on old IBM Thinkpad T22 (900 MHz, 512M RAM) - looking gooooooooooooooooood!!!
Looking forward to convince the wife on installing on the desktop (Celeron D 3,3GHz, 1 G RAM - this will fly to the moon!!)

Thanks to everyone at Vector - you guys are the best!!
Monty67

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 05:24:09 am »

Awesome, my Hpaq latop has been waiting eagerly for this release for dual boot.

MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT WERE INVOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will start checking his mail box for his freshly minted disk.  Grin

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 12:21:36 am »

Thanks to all the developers. This is an amazing distro. It even has GVim and knetwalk on the CD! Seriously though, very few things run to Gslapt for.

Is it fast or am I just imagining it? Even the download was faster than the beta.
I've installed (easily) on two 800MHz machines one previously running VL 5.1.1 SOHO and the other with 5.8 Standard and it seems to run faster on both.
I'm stoked. Within 20 minutes of installing my daughter was printing off her college assignments and I was cruising the web. Great.

I'll be telling my local LUG http://login.linux.org.au/doku.php  tonight about the experience.

Thanks again to all involved.
no2 
keyfitter

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 04:54:46 pm »

I've been using VL 5.8 Deluxe since it first came out as my main operating
system. I just downloaded and installed VL 5.8 SOHO. All I can say is "GREAT
JOB" and thanks to the developers of this wonderful upgrade.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 03:46:08 am »

And to think, I wasn't going to check for another couple of days - Amarok playing up must've been a sign or something.  Cheers guys!

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:46 am »

I have been waiting 3 years (well, technically 7 if you count the time I tried to install RHL 4.0 on a Win95 machine with a 1.2 gig hard drive) for a linux distro that I could call home; the wait is over. Thank you.

john
JJSH

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 01:02:55 pm »

This is superb. I have played with various versions of vector linux, the longest was with 5.1 Std (I think), that I used on an IBM 1Ghzish laptop, until it died.

I had tried 5.8 STD RC 1 , but had to toast that because the machine was required for some server development. I obtained a Sempron 3000+ based system ( 1 Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Nvidia 6200 256Mb card, ASUS Mainboard), and put the latest Ubuntu on there with the view to standardising a linux desktop for all my machines that were running XP. I couldn't believe how slow and unresponsive it was.

I've just put 5.8 SOHO in there and I can't believe the difference. Compared with previous versions of VL, this just seems so polished, but without loosing the trademark vector speed. I've never seen KDE so nippy.

Well done folks!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 01:03:17 am »

Did I miss something or did this great and very important release not show up on Distrowatch?  I still look at Distrowatch a few times a week even though I only use Vector, just because it's a good place to see what's happening in the world of Linux distributions.  Or so I thought ...

BTW I'm personally waiting this one out until I can have xorg 7.x and Beryl.  Grin

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 07:03:06 am »

I should have said this in my last post:  To my knowledge Vector is the best desktop Linux distribution that exists, and I tried between 15 and 20 of them before I settled on VL.  I know that the developer community is small compared to a lot of other distros, but the quality of Vector tells me that the Vector developers are all very talented and dedicated.  I'm installing 5.8 SOHO on another machine right now, and based on past experience I know that I will be impressed.  Thank all of you who work on Vector for all of your hard work, and all of the members of the VL community who are all so helpful.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: