VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:58:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-5.8 SOHO FINAL RELEASED!!!  (Read 32965 times)
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 08:26:15 am »

Thank you to everyone who made this possible!

I'm downloading via bittorrent and will seed it as well.  Thanks again.
Fred Mertz

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 01:58:17 pm »

Fine work gents (and ladies).  Can't wait to delve into it.

Quick question: Is it any easier to get e17 up and running?  I had some difficulty with 5.1, but then again, I'm a hopeless n00b.  Will Rasterman ever finish the thing?  I've always thought that combining the speed and stability of Slack with the elegant beauty of Enlightenment was a great idea.

Fred
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 02:39:25 pm »

I haven't tried E17 on 5.1, but I have on 5.8 during it's beta and RC stages. Wasn't a difficult task for me. Apart from that, I can't give a comparison of 5.1 and 5.8.

Also, even easier, is that the deluxe already has E17 packaged specifically for 5.8 (it's on the second CD), real snap to install, and you don't have to do any extra configuration to get it up and running, simply select it from the KDM Login screen.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 04:24:02 pm »

Fred Mertz:  I had problems getting E17 running on 5.1, but I'll second what Masta said - Enlightenment is really simple to install on 5.8.  Also, I think it's come a long way since 5.1 was current. 

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2007, 04:05:27 am »

SWEET ... Downloading rightnow :-)

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2007, 06:50:50 pm »

Would anyone mind if I just gushed again about how awesome this version is?  See, I had some issues with sound previously - amarok dying, and xine slowly carking it too.  So I reinstalled, kept all the settings from last and such.

Everything.  Just.  Works.

I love this distro.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:04 pm »

is it safe to upgrade from RC2 to final version no matter what system-wide changes are done? will it reset a lot of stuff like the kernel modules i'd enabled or the drivers i've installed etc.?

in short, till what point of customization is it safe to upgrade to 5.8 soho final?

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:40 pm »

till what point of customization is it safe to upgrade to 5.8 soho final?
Everything that's on the "/"  partition will be overwritten. So you'll loose everything that isn't in a seperate partition. Some users have a seperate /home partition that they mount after installing a new VL, thus saving all their users settings.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 02:34:13 pm »

so that means all the packages that i had installed will have to be reinstalled again....with the condition that probably some may not work as well.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 05:21:18 pm »

That means, yes you'll have to install all those extras again. Whether or not that means they might not work as well, I can't see why  if they're working currently. IMHO , "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" , with this quote I'll twist a little to mean, that it is better to use the repository to update anything that you suspect needs updating. If things are working well for you with an RC2 base, then you won't really miss too much compared to the Final. The Final DOES have some advantage as bug fixes were introduced, and the like,, but I would think that much of those fixes might also be applied in via the /patch section of the repository.

I think a browse over the change logs between RC2 and Final, might have more helpful information to guide you into your decision to upgrade or stay.   Hope I helped by some way.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 10:26:32 pm »

so that means all the packages that i had installed will have to be reinstalled again
Of course, it wouldn't make much sense to leave all sorts of trash on there when reinstalling. A clean install is a clean install.

with the condition that probably some may not work as well.
I don't see why a package that worked on SOHO RC2 wouldn't work on SOHO final.

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 02:29:47 am »

1. i do have the patch branch in my source list
2. RC2 never complains n nags that it's a RC (like i seen some vista builds). though i got the final version...to give to my friends.
3. all i care now about is if there were any security advisories/issues that were addressed in the final n not there in the repos or not possible to be incorporated in RC2. not that i run servers for national defense...but personal data is personal data Cheesy

thank you for the wonderful RC2....

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 02:35:38 am »

Of course, it wouldn't make much sense to leave all sorts of trash on there

Sad

i take so much trouble to install what you call as 'trash'

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 04:47:54 am »

i take so much trouble to install what you call as 'trash'.
I didn't mean those necessarily, but imagine what other stuff might be left behind if for some reason not everything would be removed at a new install... I can only imagine the chaos that you'd get from installing one distro over another.

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2007, 09:17:16 am »

i actually have had an experience which agrees with what you say...

long back i entered world of first-hand experience with linux using red hat 9 like i hear majority in india do...

updated to Fedora Core (FC) 1. they have option to either update or do a clean install....things went smooth. all the hats became fedoras...kinda Smiley

...then...

tried updating to FC3. FC2 was supposed to have some serious bug or something...like didn't know about forums or stuff....and couldn't ask for much on a dial-up. guess what happened when i tried to 'upgrade'. my installation got bashed (pun intended). the new bash version put all its stuff under a new subdir and every possible thing seemed to fail...like all the backend n all...i couldn't even get the cd writer software (X-CDRoast i think) to do some backups and i didn't know of mini-distros. i wonder if anything as wonderful as puppy linux existed then. fortunately i believed in linux a lil less than now n most of my data were on the win fat partitions.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: