VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:02:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Sweden-Volvo town  (Read 4510 times)
acous

« on: May 17, 2007, 06:28:19 am »

Hello! I am a 25 year old guy from Gothenburg, Sweden. Developer of a new automatic climate control for Volvo. Have friends who just are a catastrophy when it comes to computers. They have old computers and I used to install win2k with firewall and antivirus, but after a while they just totally have messed it up and everything is extraordinary slow (how they do that?). So I thought of installing a fast linux for them and searched "fast linux" on google and came here  Cheesy

I can not say that it worked out of the box, there were some issues, but it was fun learning and the forum here is just excellent! Now the Compaq Presario 1400 with pccard ethernet and webcam is working very well! And I do not think my friend and his family can mess this one up!  Cheesy for what I heard about linux when you get it running it stays running. They just surf the web and chat with msn and I put those icons on the desktop.

Maybe I will start to use vector also...but I play a lot of games, mostly Q3 though and should be possible in Linux I know.

Cheers!  Grin

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:36:26 am »

Velkommen.

A familiar story. Don't really know how they do it, but I have seen people render a win computer virtually useless in weeks. With Linux, they will still be able to mess with their own profile and settings, but the underlying system is protected. Enjoy the freedom!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:09:49 am »

Maybe I will start to use vector also...but I play a lot of games, mostly Q3 though and should be possible in Linux I know.
Hi and welcome to the fast lane... Grin. I used to play Q4 on VL until my previous laptop died a sudden death. You just need to download the native linux binaries from ID Software (and have the full windows game CD handy, of course).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:27:54 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux.

Quake3 runs great in Linux.

Bigpaws
acous

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »

thanks guys!  Cheesy

Am trying to mod the icewm desktop now!

There should be a forum where everyone can write how to get vectorlinux to work on their computer model. Because I think hardeware issues is the biggest obstacle for ppl to start use linux.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:49:27 pm »

There should be a forum where everyone can write how to get vectorlinux to work on their computer model. Because I think hardeware issues is the biggest obstacle for ppl to start use linux.

There is a Hardware section on this forum. There are also several HowTo's dealing with hardware issues. So I think we're covered on hardware.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:39:57 pm »

A bit late for me perhaps, but just as well: roligt att träffas, acous!

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: