VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 09:32:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make vector even faster?  (Read 3878 times)
acous

« on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:38 am »

Have now installed all hardware with vector. It is a Compaq Presario 1400 Laptop with a 600Mhz proocessor and 184 MB RAM.

The computer is for friends who just will use Firefox and aMSN. I wonder is it possible to make vector even faster? It must look like windows.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:31 am »

First of all I am assuming you are using VL 5.8 Standard, not SOHO (you should not be using SOHO with only 184MB of RAM). There are a few things you could do to make it a bit faster, most of what you have to do is use less resource intensive applications and lower your RAM usage, otherwise VL is pretty much maxed out on the speed front.

Firefox is very resource intensive, Opera and SeaMonkey are less so, and Dillo even better (but Dillo's capabilities are limited). You could also substiture IceWM for xfce as your window manager- it would take less RAM and maybe be a bit faster, and can be made to look a lot like Windows XP, but the disadvantages are it is not quite as newbie friendly.

If you stick with xfce remove any unneccessary panel applets that you don't use - some of them consume 16MB of RAM. You might want to consider pre-loading Firefox and aMSN on startup so that users don't experience the load wait time.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:54:16 am »

To add something to the lagagnon excelent advices, you could disable all the services you dont use with VASM.

if you stick with xfce remove any unneccessary panel applets that you don't use - some of them consume 16MB of RAM.

Wow, I didnt know that, you mean, mount applet?, or the clock?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
acous

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 07:59:30 am »

yes i use vector standard.

how do I change to IceWM? how do i preload? is that "autostarted appliacations"?

I am a little scared of removing panel applets, I removed most of them once and after next reboot the panel never showed. Found that this is some bug in xfce panel.

will test your other advices! thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:01:42 am by acous » Logged
acous

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:48 pm »

installed IceWM, what a difference!!!! so much faster! this should be default
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:59:55 pm »

Another thing you might try (and this is slightly complicated) is install OpenBox (a very light window manager - you should be able to get it from www.slacky.it or linuxpackages.net) use Rox-Filer or xsetroot to set a wallpaper image (Rox-Filer you can get from linuxpackages I'm pretty sure) and then use an xterm to start the Xfce panel.  I find this setup somewhat faster than IceWM on an old 300 Mhz box I have.  I also prefer the Xfce panel to the IceWM taskbar.  Your mileage may vary.  Oh, and if you use Rox-Filer, start it as "rox --rox-session" and then turn off the rox panel.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
acous

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:55:08 pm »

Cheesy

Man, with icewm it just flies!! superfast and never any problems, with xfce firefox could hang sometimes and windows did not close sometimes. Icewm is loaded before i can blink.  Grin

will consider your tips when installing on even older hardware though,

thanks!!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: