VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 05:44:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't ping or print from print server  (Read 8571 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:07 am »

I have recently run into a problem printing to the LaserJet 4/4M that's on a print server. When I send a print job to that printer, CUPS displays a message:
"Network host '192.168.2.50' is busy, down, or unreachable; will retry in 30 seconds..."

I use fixed IP addresses and the address assigned to that print server is 192.168.2.50. The printer prints fine in Windows XP from the same computer. I can't ping 192.168.2.50 from VL. Here's what I get:
me:$ ping 192.168.2.50
PING 192.168.2.50 (192.168.2.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.2.20 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.2.20 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.2.20 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.2.20 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable

I have the VL firewall disabled through VASM and have also made /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall and /etc/init.d/firewall unexecutable.

Any ideas on what's happening? I can print to my USB inkjet and to my Epson inkjet on my router's print server, but I can't print to the LaserJet because the network can't see it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:32:10 pm »

I take it that everything else works i.e. pinging other machines,
internet connection and such.

First guess is a NIC problem especially if it is a flaky
card.

Have you made a new kernel or an upgrade all
command.

Second guess flaky kernel.

Bigpaws
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:45:33 pm »

I take it that everything else works i.e. pinging other machines, internet connection and such.

Yes, internet is fine, pinging anything else is fine, printing to the other printer on the router's print server is fine (IP address is 192.168.2.1), nfs local network is fine. Only the print server at 192.168.2.50 isn't responding. It used to work.

First guess is a NIC problem especially if it is a flaky card.

But everything else works, and I can print to the print server in Windows. I'm going to boot into XP and check to see whether anything has changed in the IP address for the printer. I doubt it, since I assigned it. But with computer gremlins, who knows? I'm also going to see if anything is going on in the router administration I get to through a browser.

Have you made a new kernel or an upgrade all command.

No. I did upgrade CUPS from the VL repository and I did check the configuration for the printers in CUPS. However, the inability to ping happens before I start X. I use runlevel 2 and if I ping immediately after logging in, I get the Destination Host Unreachable message for the print server.

Second guess flaky kernel.

I didn't make any changes to VL 5.8 Standard GOLD's kernel. And why would pinging only this one address cause a problem due to the kernel?

Well, off to boot into Windows! Maybe I'll get a clue--though it works in Windows.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:59 pm »

X has nothing to do with ping or the network.

Ok so the NIC can transmit the Print server can receive from XP not Vector.

So  I am going to assume that the other machines can print to that print
server.

So there is a blockage either at the NIC or the print server. You are checking the
print server config. hmmmmm

Can other machines ping the Vector box and the Print server?

Bigpaws
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 02:16:38 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

It turns out the problem was PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). In other words, not-so-bright user.<g>

I booted into Windows and pinged the print server and what do you know? Windows couldn't ping it, either. I tried a test page from Windows--didn't print (of course!). So I then got the bright idea to unplug and replug the Ethernet cable from the print server and the switch (I have a switch connected to the router to provide more ports). Tried to ping the print server again, and it responded.

Booted back into VL. Ping got the proper response. I printed a test page and it printed as expected.

Why didn't I think of checking the connections first? That's always the way to go. I feel sort of like a person who says "I can't get anything out of the printer. Oh wait--it's not turned on."

Thanks again for trying to help.
--GrannyGeek

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:44:50 pm »

PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

You really need to be careful when posting comments like
that I almost lost my coffee and fell out my chair laughing.

Glad to see you got it going.

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: