VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:36:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About: VL's policy on Propietary software ?? (mods please read)  (Read 2123 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 18, 2007, 07:03:24 am »

Given the new venture that VL is engaging on (business wise) with madtux, We will have of course a new channel for users to join our community.

I hang out @ #vectorlinux on freenode every day. Today one person came in there, and asked some questions that I think needs to be addressed.

What is VL's policy on proprietary software ?
 |_ Do we host proprietary software in the repos?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:13:08 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:19:26 pm »

VL has a license to distribute opera, so we have it in our repository for convenience. Except for possibly Nvidia or ATI proprietary drivers, I'm not aware of any other proprietary software that may be in our repo.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 07:30:19 am »

I thought I'd just add that installing the typical proprietary stuff average users may want (RealPlayer, Adobe Reader) is totally easy using the binary file you download from real.com or adobe.com. Just read the directions.

I've been installing these things for years and have never had a problem using the binary installer. Same for Opera. Except for whatever version may come on VL, I've never used a package, just downloaded the static tar.gz file from opera.com.

I was also surprised to find that installing the proprietary ATI driver was a no-brainer. Just follow the directions, but think it through first.

The advantage of packages is that they're easy to remove and upgrade. But with these proprietary things, usually it's enough to delete whatever directories of the software's name you find and if you're a clean freak, delete the executable, which may be in a /bin somewhere. Or just leave 'em. Hard drives are cheap these days. I just bought a 500-gig internal Seagate to replace the 200-gig internal I have now (plus a 100-gig SATA on that system). I was running out of elbow room on the 200 gig.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:16 am »

I just thought I'd ask, because some users may be sensitive about these things.

I have no problem using proprietary software... but that's just me. But there was this one guy that came into IRC asking if we have section of the repos hosting nothing but proprietary software.

Of course I know we do not, but

He said he liked VL, but if we use or need proprietary software for the boxes madtux is selling, that would be a show stopper for him.
I can only assume he's not the only one.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:36:51 pm »

In case anyone wondered, texlive is originally a generic binary package, but all of its components are in the clear for distribution.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: