VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:52:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.8-SOHO-Final Bugs/annoyances  (Read 13605 times)
newt
Vectorian

« on: May 18, 2007, 10:19:57 pm »

First one I notice is that the boot option 'linux2' does not work during installation of Final.  Not a deal-breaker, I just happened to notice that Grin
ekp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:31 pm »

For some reason unknown to me I have several programs that appear to segfault.  I am not sure how to tell.  Adobe Reader when opening file just crashes.  Sylpheed when opening a sent message crashes.  Amule when running a search crashes.

Really disturbing.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:06:50 pm »

For some reason unknown to me I have several programs that appear to segfault.  I am not sure how to tell.  Adobe Reader when opening file just crashes.  Sylpheed when opening a sent message crashes.  Amule when running a search crashes.
Would you post your network chipset information?
ekp

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:21:40 pm »

I am sorry to plead ignorance but how would I do that?  My ethernet card is a Lynksys card
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:27:08 pm »

Where are you getting your packages from?  None of the mentioned apps come stock with SOHO final and I'm wondering if you're getting a package another distro that maybe isn't configured properly for VL.

I know this is a totally different beast, but while on the subject of segfaults I've been getting one myself when trying to install and initialize the new ATI video driver.  I attempt the aticonfig --initial command as root and get a 'segmentation fault'.
ekp

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:33:12 pm »

Where are you getting your packages from?  None of the mentioned apps come stock with SOHO final and I'm wondering if you're getting a package another distro that maybe isn't configured properly for VL.

I know this is a totally different beast, but while on the subject of segfaults I've been getting one myself when trying to install and initialize the new ATI video driver.  I attempt the aticonfig --initial command as root and get a 'segmentation fault'.

I got amule from slapt-get with sources provided.  The others compiled from source.  Acrobat reader from Adobe via binary Install. 
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 01:42:08 pm »

I just grabbed amule from the repo and it works fine on my system.  I've run several searches and it seems to respond as expected.  I didn't try sylpheed or acrobat though.

I wonder if masta was on to something regarding your network chipset.  Do you happen to know what it is?
ekp

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:11:18 pm »

I just grabbed amule from the repo and it works fine on my system.  I've run several searches and it seems to respond as expected.  I didn't try sylpheed or acrobat though.

I wonder if masta was on to something regarding your network chipset.  Do you happen to know what it is?

If you are talking about the chipset on my motherboard I am no sure.  I had someone set up my system with a chipset that is supposed to support Linux.

I also should say that all programs mentioned worked with RC3 after making sure Acobat Reader was in PATH.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:15:17 pm by ekp » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 08:29:26 pm »

I am sorry to plead ignorance but how would I do that?  My ethernet card is a Lynksys card
in terminal su and password. command: lspci
there you'll see list of jumbo, look for something like
 "05:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)"
or
"00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)"
In some way or another you'll see something dealing with "ethernet" and probably in your case "Linksys"
But, the Linksys network card is enough information to void the direction I was thinking.

Option 2:
If I am gathering your information correctly, you probably kept your /home partition, and kept it's settings, when you installed from the RC3 to the Final. If this is the case, may I recommend going into vasm and resetting all of your user settings, log out, and then log back in. (generally I have people reboot instead of typical logout/in)
Note: This is going to rested all of your icons, menu, wallpaper settings and so on ,, to the default. It should fix the problem though.

Option 1:
view hidden folders in your ~home directory, and delete the directories to the programs that are in question. After that, try starting them again. This doesn't remove all your desktop settings and stuff, but you will have to run through the applications setup again (if it has a setup). If this doesn't fix the problem, please move up to Option 2.

If either of these do not solve the issue, then we will have to look at something else.
remove the ati driver, set xorg.conf to use vesa, grab the driver from the web site, install that, but do not use the config from the installer, just install, then edit xorg.conf to use the fglrx driver. init 3 then init 4. see if that works for you.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 09:09:56 pm by Masta » Logged
ekp

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 11:31:22 pm »

my network chipset:

Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 12:41:59 am »

oh swell it is in the direction I was first thinking.
 There is a patch for the SiS 900 series chip set for the kernel that is being used in Final (2.6.20.3).

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=dc5a144991ba803bc8afded105c9db1dea0e57ab

or you can go back to the kernel that was being used in RC-3 (2.6.20.7?)
I'm not currently sure if the newer kernels in the repo have the patch or not Uel might have to chime in for that information.

Kernel was downgraded for Final due to a Nvidia bug.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:53:53 am by Masta » Logged
soren

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 02:28:02 am »

I attempt the aticonfig --initial command as root and get a 'segmentation fault'.
I got the same on RC3. Try running the program from runlevel 2 (without X running). That seemed to solve the problem for me...
ekp

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 05:58:27 am »

oh swell it is in the direction I was first thinking.
 There is a patch for the SiS 900 series chip set for the kernel that is being used in Final (2.6.20.3).

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=dc5a144991ba803bc8afded105c9db1dea0e57ab

or you can go back to the kernel that was being used in RC-3 (2.6.20.7?)
I'm not currently sure if the newer kernels in the repo have the patch or not Uel might have to chime in for that information.

Kernel was downgraded for Final due to a Nvidia bug.

I am not sure if that is the Lynksys or my onboard ethernet controller.  Here is other entry for ethernet controller.

Ethernet controller: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)

Here again I will plead ignorance.........how to patch kernel?

Also problem only seems to exist with my user.  Going to delete current user and setup again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:02:07 am by ekp » Logged
ekp

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 06:59:50 am »

Apparently problems solved by deleting current user and creating new one.  I have seen this before with other distros to the point where I was going to reinstall.  After doing this procedure everything would work.  Is this a KDE problem?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 07:33:04 am »

Just ran into a strange one. With the earlier RC versions, my windows partition was mounted flawlessly. However, it didn't mount with the installation of the final version.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: