VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 08:11:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.8-SOHO-Final Bugs/annoyances  (Read 13866 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 08:57:50 am »

Just ran into a strange one. With the earlier RC versions, my windows partition was mounted flawlessly. However, it didn't mount with the installation of the final version.
I don't believe VL 5.8 was ever set up to automatically mount any windows partitions - at least that is the way I see it because the /etc/fstab file was always "prepared" for Windows partitons but that line was always commented out.

All you have to do is edit your /etc/fstab file and comment ou the line for the win partition. But the better way is probably to use VASM, FILESYSTEM.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 09:07:33 am »

There is an option to have it mounted during the install process. Just thought it was strange that it didn't mount after selecting it. All is good at this point, am able to snag files off the partition with no problems at all. Smiley

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 01:21:19 pm »

Apparently problems solved by deleting current user and creating new one.  I have seen this before with other distros to the point where I was going to reinstall.  After doing this procedure everything would work.  Is this a KDE problem?
I'm not sure if it's a KDE problem, but in the future you can run vasm and reset all settings for the user account from there. This should work very good, without deleting the user account. The benefit of doing it this way, is that you don't lose any important files you might have stored in the users' ~home directory (documents, and other files). This refers back to "Option 1".
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 08:29:16 am »

There is an option to have it mounted during the install process. Just thought it was strange that it didn't mount after selecting it. All is good at this point, am able to snag files off the partition with no problems at all. Smiley

I could be mistaken but I don't remember the option to "mount" a windows partition during install.  I do remember the lilo boot options asking if I wanted to have Windows added as a boot option, but that would be different than mounting.  Either way it sounds like you got yourself going.
Cheers!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 08:39:05 am »

On the screen where you can select additional partitions like "/home", etc, there is an option for a windows partition.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 09:07:08 am »

My few experiences with SOHO final:

Installation went ok, but when booting for the 1st time, fglrx installation failed and lead me to a black screen. I rebooted. I was in a console.

2nd chance:  Reinstalled again and choose ati drivers  instead of fglrx, and this lead me to an infinite loop of {configure, something went wrong, do you really want to exit installation?}  I cannot remember exactly what was the text for those windows...
When rebooted, I logged as root (blank) as I hadn't set any users nor passwords. obviously I didn't have X, but replaced the /etc/X11/xorg.conf with xorg.conf-vesa .   Now I'm in a X session, but I don't have sound (my onboard audio card (intel) is somewhat pesky in linux matters.  That happened too with RC2 and I could solve it upgrading kernel (thanks to uelsk8) but the problem appeared again. Sad

Is there a way to configure X but not installing drivers for graphic cards? I don't like to mess with drivers when installing

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:14 am »

Is there a way to configure X but not installing drivers for graphic cards? I don't like to mess with drivers when installing
yes..
xorgconfig

Refer to the X driver man pages and the
chipset-specific READMEs in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc for further details.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 06:30:37 am »

There is also a tool to detect your hardware and do your initial configuration...

I dont remember the exact name for it, but I've used it before... Something like vlconfig, vlautoconfig.
It's the tool that runs after the first boot, where you set up the time zone, the user names, detects hardware, configures X and things like that.

EDIT:

The tool is called vlautosetup, and it's located in /sbin

so just run that as root, and you can get your initial configuration done
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:58:09 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

Licaon

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 02:20:18 pm »

hello, (sorry for the long pots)

this is my first vector install ( i used slackware and lately zenwalk ), and i find it surprisingly fast and lightweight

I'll write down some *annoyances* that i encountered installing soho5.8 on one of my systems ( axp 1700+/nforce1/256ram/gf2mx integrated/soundstorm5.1 integrated/maxtor 20gb)

installer annoyances:
-the first keymap selector has only some keymaps (I'm using dvorak and thats not present on the list), not very annoying since i don't have to write anything else except the name of the system.
-the second keymap selector, has all i want, but it only sets the keymap for Xorg ( i can see that later when logging in text mode )
-the third keymap selector ( i don't know why I'm asked if i want to keep the US layout since i just answered that i want a dvorak one )..same choices as the second one
-i was asked 3 times about my keymap yet the keymap is not applied...so it's rather funny to set my user/root pass on a dvorak keyboard mapped as US Tongue
-grub has the ntfs partition (found in the system) as a boot option, but AFAIKs the installer does not check if a Windows installation is actually on that partition, so the boot option is actually broken (maybe mounting the partition as R/O during detection, and testing if a "ntldr" file is actually present on that partition would enhance this setting)
-lilo does not have the ntfs partition problem above... why not? Smiley
-video: for the moment my card ( GeForce2 MX Integrated GPU 0x01A0 it's a legacy card) works OK with driver 8776 or with 8776+patch when a kernel >2.6.20 is used; driver 9631 causes screen corruption and Xid errors
i can manage this by setting X to use the "nv" OSS driver and later on by installing 8776+patch, but when for tests sake i selected the 7185(?) driver to install, the driver failed to run since i did not have the kernel sources, and the installer continued on his way (so maybe some tests should be made before/after this... if i got the kernel installed and if the nvidia.ko module was actually created)

system installed:
-first boot OK...postinstall stuff...reboot
-second boot... broken X, system hangs
-third boot....system remains at level 3... i see now that my keymap was not applied
-"loadkeys dvorak" spits out an error a few years old, so i have to write the full path /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.map.gz ( and not /usr/lib/kbd/.... as the rc.keymap file says)...also it seems that "loadkeys dvorak.map" will work ( rc.keymap only says dvorak)
-i try to get some settings with "vasm" in text mode....like Keymap (for-text-mode)...it has many keymaps listed... but when i select the dvorak keymap i'm returned to the same list, and not asked to test/finalize my  keymap selection (ANSI-dvorak works ok Sad )
-next i see that X does not start, it had a vesa driver, i replace it with nv only to reboot to level 3, X does not start ( libX11.so/libXau.so were not found, ldconfig fixed it)
-system is running, X is running, only one of my (2) net cards is running....(they're both set up in rc.inet*) i run the vasm-net-start-eth1 ...ok
-i set up some default firewall rules (1 external card/1 internal/no mapped ports/ip_forward)... the firewall complains about some missing TREJECT module...but seems to apply the rules
-reboot...
-at boot the firewall -fails... kde runs... artsd crashes...
-running a console as a normal user, (why can a normal user execute "lsmod"?), i see that "lsmod" shows an empty module list,
-running as root (maybe the user should be forced to choose a root password at install time?)... lsmod shows no modules loaded, modprobe says that modules were not find (running the firewall script outputs many errors about missing modules)
-i run "depmod -a".... one of the net cards gets created (module inserted automatically?), it becomes eth0 ( it was eth1 about 2 boots ago )...also its just created...not set up...
running vasm -> net -> start  sets up the card(s), yet my MAC (HWADDR) is not set up Sad

my truly first install was yesterday, while everything worked ok the first 2 boots.... after that (maybe since i set up a firewall at start has something to do with it?!?!) any boot will fall into the missing modules pit Sad
after some more reboots, disabling firewall seems to fix the missing modules error

my net cards are: forcedeth and fealnx, modprobe is set for alias eth0 and eth1
but now my network card are not set up, neither by rc.inet* nor by rc.inet1.conf (tried them both or separated)
yet using only rc.inet* scripts will make my eth1 card to become eth0 up/running/no other setting, while running rc.inet* and a rc.inet1.conf for my cards (stating the same stuff hwaddr/ip/mask/gate) will make eth0 be eth0

I'll try another one tomorrow.

10x

LLL-Edit: Merged this post into the already rolling SOHO 5.8 Bugs/Annoyances thread - would much rather call it "Fine-Tuning SOHO 5.8" though Wink

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:16:25 pm by LLL » Logged

Licaon

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 10:33:41 am »

LLL-Edit: Merged this post into the already rolling SOHO 5.8 Bugs/Annoyances thread - would much rather call it "Fine-Tuning SOHO 5.8" though Wink
ummm...so I'll have to wait for soho5.8.1 or what ? Sad
maybe someone knows how to force those scripts to actually configure my net card ( are there actually 2 methods: netconfig for rc.inet1.conf  and vasm->net* for rc.inet1 and rc.inet2 ?)
and why is the firewall script breaking the kernel-modules loading process ?

Licaon

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 02:53:05 pm »

is actually anyone coming down here??

hello?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 03:58:33 pm »

Licaon,
you can start the net scripts by running them as root like this
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 start
you can add those 2 lines to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it done automatically at boot.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 04:37:33 pm »

-the first keymap selector has only some keymaps (I'm using dvorak and thats not present on the list), not very annoying since i don't have to write anything else except the name of the system.
-the second keymap selector, has all i want, but it only sets the keymap for Xorg ( i can see that later when logging in text mode )
-the third keymap selector ( i don't know why I'm asked if i want to keep the US layout since i just answered that i want a dvorak one )..same choices as the second one

That has been noted before.

i set up some default firewall rules (1 external card/1 internal/no mapped ports/ip_forward)... the firewall complains about some missing TREJECT module...but seems to apply the rules

How did you setup the firewall rules?

running a console as a normal user, (why can a normal user execute "lsmod"?), i see that "lsmod" shows an empty module list,

Permissions, same as Slackware

running as root (maybe the user should be forced to choose a root password at install time?)... lsmod shows no modules loaded, modprobe says that modules were not find (running the firewall script outputs many errors about missing modules)

Sounds like an installation problem.

From looking at the problems that you have encountered it would seem that a bad burn would be a
cause of that many failures.

Did you do a MD5 sum?

Bigpaws
Licaon

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 07:03:34 pm »

Licaon,
you can start the net scripts by running them as root like this
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 start
you can add those 2 lines to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it done automatically at boot.
ok. 10q. i know my way around slack&co... yet i was curious about an *official* fix of the included scripts not a temporary patch. Smiley
and i said that: "running vasm -> net -> start  sets up the card(s), yet my MAC (HWADDR) is not set up" and iirc looking into the vasm script those 2 scripts that you mentioned are run for those vasm options, by not setting up hwaddr they're not usefull  Sad

That has been noted before.
hope its fixed in the new/next installer Smiley

i set up some default firewall rules (1 external card/1 internal/no mapped ports/ip_forward)... the firewall complains about some missing TREJECT module...but seems to apply the rules
How did you setup the firewall rules?
using the 'Make a default firewall' option or whatever is that called in vasm->firewall -> first option on top

running a console as a normal user, (why can a normal user execute "lsmod"?), i see that "lsmod" shows an empty module list,
Permissions, same as Slackware
i don't remember being able to do that in Slack ( or Zenwalk, Fedora, SLED), i actually find it quite useless since modprobe&co. are not accessible by normal users... yet having a look around seems that I'm wrong and i could do that as a user.

running as root (maybe the user should be forced to choose a root password at install time?)... lsmod shows no modules loaded, modprobe says that modules were not find (running the firewall script outputs many errors about missing modules)
Sounds like an installation problem.
yep... some scripts that updates module list or something... like i said, disabling the firewall made those errors disappear.

From looking at the problems that you have encountered it would seem that a bad burn would be a cause of that many failures.
i used this type of media for a long time ( Traxdata DVD-RW 2x ) without issues, this disk was at his fourth burn iirc, so i don't think this should be an issue.
I'll re-burn it for my next tries.

Did you do a MD5 sum?
yep. looks ok

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:09:54 pm by Licaon » Logged

exi

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 04:18:39 am »

to the :

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet2 restart

NB: note that youo need /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and 2 for 2 network interfaces and so on...
it seams to me that if you downt wanne start the network interfaces from rc.local you can start them in ifpluged (like they shuld...)

the config file is /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf
the config shuld list under interface all fysick network interface you want to start..
exampel : INTERFACES="eth0 eth1"

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:20:52 am by exi » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: