VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 06:38:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I configure a wireless modem?  (Read 7770 times)
Ainvar

« on: May 19, 2007, 08:57:07 am »

Hello, I am using Vector Linux SOHO 5.0, and I managed to get a wireless modem - a 3G modem - it's a Option Globesurfer I'Con. The ISP is Orange, and for Windows they've created an application called Bussines Everywhere, that can be used as a dialer(that's the only way it work in Windows). The problem is that there's no driver for this thing, and I really have no idea how to make an internet connection on Linux, with that device. If i missed something that might help resolving this issue, please tell me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:38:29 pm »

Have you looked at this...might help???

http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/agebhard/GlobeSurfer/

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Ainvar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:02:57 pm »

Thanks, I will try that, hope it will work.... today i tried to install Wine, i compiled it from sources... i thought i might use it to make the windows app. work on linux. The compilation took at least 3 hours... for only 3-4 mb... nice compiling speed Grin so i stoped compiling it, i hope that how-to will work.
Thank you again.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

That sounds like an awfully long time to compile wine.  Have you tried just using the wine package available in the VL repos - I think the newest wine release was just packaged and posted in the repo (probably in the testing or unstable repo).  Might be a simpler method of getting wine onto your system.

HTH
Ainvar

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:38:24 pm »

Ok, i will look in the repo, maybe i can find it there... Tomorrow i will get on linux, and i will do some changes... wish me luck! i will need it:)
P.S: Why the hell don't these guys create linux drivers also?I mean, why didn't Orange make a driver for linux and mac too, just only for windows? I think they are in love with Bill Gates  Grin
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »

I found the post I was referring to: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3026.0
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:05:31 pm »

From what I read in the link I gave you and this link where someone mentions you modem, all you need is one small app., and
they give a link to it, and your modem will work in linux with no problem....

http://www.pharscape.org/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,68/page,viewtopic/t,133/

Ainvar

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 04:40:24 am »

oooookkkk... i've done everything they told in that how-to... i downloaded that C file, compiled it, made the scripts... it connects the modem, although it gives an error at the pin code, which is the correct one, it authenticates to the network, using CHAP authentification.... sooo.... after this... the browser won't work... it looks like there's no connection. Any advices? How can i make this thing work?Ah, btw, the how-to was not so good, i had to change some stuff.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 05:00:32 am »

First, check with your provider on the pin code and be sure what you are using is right.

You say the "browser doesn't work". What do you mean by it doesn't work? It won't start up? It can't find web sites? If it can't find web sites by name such as "www.google.com", then name servers aren't known to pppd. Which dialer are you using? After chap is complete, open a terminal and try to ping 208.69.32.230 and see if you get a response.

Ainvar

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 05:08:44 am »

The browser doesn't open any pages. I tried with konqueror and firefox. I tried with www.google.com, i think that's the most simple web-page, i thought it might open it... I am using the pppd dialer, cause kppp isn't so good, actually, it doesn't even see my modem. I will try to ping that, so... i will see if i can do anything about it. I think i will redo everything from the start. Thanks again for the help!
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 05:45:12 am »

If you are using "pppd call <service>" you will probably have to find out the addresses of the name servers your provider uses and put them in the /etc/resolve.conf file.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 06:50:27 am »

For those who may not know, a name server is the same as a DNS server. To see whether this is the issue, you have to use a numeric IP address in the browser's address bar or ping the address gamfa suggested.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Ainvar

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 07:26:14 am »

Hey, i fixed it! I only had to change in 2 scripts "gprsinternet" with "orange", and to add the user "internet" and the password "orange". That's the default username and password for Orange in Romania. After that i went into VASM and changed the DNS with the primary DNS that the command "pppd call utms nodetach" outputed. After that i got a wonderful wireless internet connection!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 07:58:24 am »

Congratulations! Now enjoy it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Ainvar

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 08:19:13 am »

Thanks a lot for all the help guys!For the nice "How-to"s! I will really enjoy this connection Cheesy Right now i am downloading Lynx 2.8.6 and after that Firefox 2.0.3... Pidgin is on the list too Cheesy I hope i will help someone, someday too!I will look around, maybe i will find something that i know...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: