VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 07:59:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I configure a wireless modem?  (Read 7813 times)
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 02:25:32 pm »

Good to hear you got it working...

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Ainvar

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 05:50:01 am »

Some updates to the problem: i've installed VL SOHO 5.8 RC3, i've done again the scripts, and now when i try to connect i get this error "/dev/ttyUSB0 unknown option". I can't remember the exact message, but it sounds like that. It reffers to a part in a script from /etc/ppp/peers/, the umts script. The /dev/ttyUSB0 is the first option that appears in that script, indicating which device to use. I've changed it to look like a comment, the pppd call umts nodetach command works, but there's no connection! And I really hate the way the terminals are acting on this new version of VL. They show the output of the pppd command in only one line.
Both LEDs are blinking, after the connection only one should blink, and that would be the sign that I am connected.
Now i am really sorry that I've changed my OS.The result of this: quitting Vector Linux in favor of Windows XP.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:52:36 am by Ainvar » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 11:59:48 am »

im not with wireless,but i still remember the annoying bug in vector,where vec switches eth interfaces on each restart and i am internet-less in between each reboot....The only way this could be fixed was by John's "stopit doing it the udev way" howto...
I really do hope that they fixed that in some of the RCs.. Shocked

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »

This is not a bug, it is by design in udev. It is impossible to predict which interface will come up first and udev detects them in that order. It also seems impossible to me to pre-define udev rules to avoid this as it would be different in every PC model and depending on extra network cards you might use. I am open to suggestions though, as it might be possible to add the functionality to the hardware detection scripts.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Ainvar

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 12:31:20 pm »

It also seems impossible to me to pre-define udev rules to avoid this as it would be different in every PC model and depending on extra network cards you might use.
I have a network card that I am not using, but it's still on my computer... could it create a conflict between it and the 3G modem?
Ainvar

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 04:17:48 am »

Problem solved: I've uninstalled Vector Linux. Now my modem is working just fine.
On Windows. Bye guys, maybe this thread will be useful someday.
Take care of you, i will keep on using Windows.
Ainvar

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 08:55:03 am »

Ok guys... back to linux  Grin can you tell me please, what should i do to offer more info about my problem, that could be helpful in fixing it Huh? Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: