VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Didnt install LILO or GRUB on install. Cant run VectorL  (Read 1938 times)

jklslvch

Didnt install LILO or GRUB on install. Cant run VectorL
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:47:30 pm »

hey while i was installing vector linux i choosed to install grub (not familiar with LILO) but i accidentialy put cancel or abort and it skipped configuring it. so when i booted up my PC it jsut came into the main GRUB terminal. and i used the command fixmbr with the winXP cd to get windows running again. Is there a way to configure it. like using a live cd or something?

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Didnt install LILO or GRUB on install. Cant run VectorL
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:28:18 pm »

If you loaded VL but just didn't load grub or lilo then you can use the install CD to boot to your installed partition with VL. Once in VL you should be able to load and configure grub (or lilo). When you boot from the CD read the instructions on the first interactive screen and you can point the boot process to the appropriate partition (e.g. /dev/hda2).
HTH,
Mike
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

jklslvch

Re: Didnt install LILO or GRUB on install. Cant run VectorL
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:34:55 am »

I booted it up with the cd aimed to where it was installed and then installed grub and it worked. Thanks.