VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 08:29:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: K3B on VL 5.8 Standard  (Read 3953 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: May 19, 2007, 09:33:34 pm »

Today I installed K3B on my 5.8 Standard Gold. It seems to be working, though I haven't tried to burn anything yet.

I first used gslapt to get k3b, but it was going to add tons of things to my system and even worse, upgrade things I didn't want upgraded. So I downloaded just the kdelibs and k3b packages from the /testing directory in the main repository and installed them with installpkg. I also ran ldconfig and the k3bsetup. Then I started k3b as user and everything seems in order.

My question is, is that all there is to it? I don't need to download anything else? If so, why are there so many dependencies in the k3b package from gslapt? I mean, it was going to add hal, which I don't want, and the new Wine, along with a pile of other stuff! I have an older Wine and don't want to upgrade it until I have more feedback because I have some important Windows applications working quite well under Wine and a newer version sometimes breaks what runs on older versions.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:56:26 pm »

Granny: I've posted several times that k3b on Standard just needs kdelibs. I intended to take on the task of building a cleaner package for it, but never got the time.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 10:11:58 pm »

I've read your messages, which is why I thought I'd be okay with just kdelibs and k3b. But when I saw so many dependencies for the package, I thought maybe something had changed.

You have more important things to do than build a cleaner package.<g> It's too bad a notice can't be posted that only kdelibs and k3b are really necessary.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 10:40:04 pm »

Joe1962:

Every time I set up a Vector box I install K3b, so I would appreciate you making a cleaner package, if that is a better way, and you have the time. When you have the time, of course. I should say that K3b 1.01 is installing with correct pathways, such that they are listed in Multimedia (K3b) and Settings (K3bsetup). I wouldnt want to lose that feature by paring down the package.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 10:46:41 pm »

Sorry nubcnubdo, but I really can't get into that in the foreseeable future. You could nudge the k3b packager though... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:18:13 am »

I should say that K3b 1.01 is installing with correct pathways, such that they are listed in Multimedia (K3b) and Settings (K3bsetup). I wouldnt want to lose that feature by paring down the package.

May I ask why that's so important? I never use the XFce desktop menu much anyway, preferring to have launcher groups for my most-used applications on the Panel. If you want them in the "start" menu, it's not much trouble to put them there yourself.

I agree that a cleaner package for K3B would be nice because I think lots of users would like K3B without all the rest of KDE, but it's low on my priorities list. Downloading just kdelibs and k3b and installing them with installpkg and ldconfig is pretty easy.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: