VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 02:26:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: install from iso  (Read 2721 times)
bzipitidoo

« on: May 19, 2007, 10:34:13 pm »

Hello... I'm having problems starting the install from the ISO.  I have a 133 MHz Pentium laptop with 96M RAM, 3G hard drive, and no CD drive.  Was able to free up only 1.7G, and hope that will be enough space.  I'm planning to not have a swap partition-- can't spare the disk space.  I have Windows 98 and Slackware 10.0 on the computer now.

So, lots of inaccuracies in the instructions.

I could not do "4.3 Direct ISO on a Linux host."  It's because I want to put VectorLinux in the space where Slackware 10.0 is now, and I can't unmount root (can I?) so that I can install Vector over it.

So, I tried "4.2 Direct ISO on a Windows Host".  So far, the problems are:

1. The "kernel file that matches your system" is nowhere to be found "within the FTP site".  It is inside the ISO of course.
2. There is no "ide" kernel anymore?  I have to use "sata"?
3. The instructions said to rename the ISO file to something that fits the DOS 8.3 length.  I renamed it to VL58.ISO.
4. I put VL58.ISO in C:\, as specified.  Loadlin boots Vector Linux and I get to the first menu.  When I choose "Start",
I get an ERROR saying that it couldn't find the Vector Linux ISO file.
5. I tried putting the ISO file in c:\veclinux and c:\loadlin.  Same error.  I don't have anywhere else to put the ISO file-- no room to make a separate partition for it.

I suppose the next thing to try is mount the ISO and copy its contents to C:\veclinux.  Will that work?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: