VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 03:59:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: DiGG Gets word of VL Preinstalled  (Read 6711 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: May 20, 2007, 12:09:46 am »

Maybe we as a community can shape up the comments on there,, in our normal community style of course. Maybe shed some light on how well VL runs , even the boxes that MadTux is selling.

http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/139_PC_comes_with_Linux_preinstalled
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 04:18:28 am »

For the most part, the commenters at Digg need to "discover the difference" that VL can make on a unit like the $139 box from MadTux.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:39:21 am »

For the most part, the commenters at Digg need to "discover the difference" that VL can make on a unit like the $139 box from MadTux.

Indeed.
Lots of them seem to think you need a dual-core processor, 2gb ram, 200gb hdd to do things like home/office work or even development  Roll Eyes

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:42:47 am »

I could barely stand to get through the raving lunatic comments.<g> A lot of them were flat-out wrong, too, not just matters of opinion.

I was particularly amused by the ones who said you could build your own computer for less. As if people who are buying a $139 computer are likely to be building their own! Also, it's not true that you can build your own computer for less if we're at the low and middle end of the market. Compaq, Gateway, HP, eMachines, Acer are very difficult to beat on price at the low end. I know--the main reason I bought a new computer in January, 2006 instead of upgrading my older desktop was that I priced out everything and found that for what it would cost me for a new motherboard, CPU, HSF, and a gig of RAM I'd come out ahead by just buying a new machine. Plus if something wasn't working right, it wasn't my problem.<g> The street price of a new computer after rebates is often less than the suggested retail price by $300 or more. If someone is building it  from scratch, there also is the cost of the case, power supply, and whatever you want to put in it that isn't built into the motherboard.

Building your own computer used to be a way to save money, but now the reasons for building your own include having complete control over what goes into it and having an intimate knowledge of its innards. You don't save money unless you're going toward the high end, where you *might*.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:46:17 am »

I could barely stand to get through the raving lunatic comments.<g> A lot of them were flat-out wrong, too, not just matters of opinion.
Couldn't have said it better myself...  Angry

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:04:56 am »

I'm a DiGG member now  Grin

*heh, heh*
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:26:07 pm »

Couldn't have said it better myself...  Angry
agreed.
That's why I mentioned that maybe the community could shape up the comments on there. Maybe set the record straight from the falsehoods.
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:27:14 pm »

the raving lunatic comments.

That about covers it.  I gave up after wading through less than half of them: my mind couldn't handle any more of them. Most of them completely missed the point.  It's a basic box meant for people who want an inexpensive computer, with a pre-installed OS capable of running well on a box with those specs.  Not everyone is a "l337" gamer who wants to -- or can -- spend vast tracts of cash on hardware (or software, for that matter).

I guess any machine not Vista-capable is essentially useless, at least in the eyes of some people.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:40:13 pm »

Roll Eyes Digg them under. Don't spare anyone.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:17:34 pm by hanumizzle » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Monty67

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 01:49:09 pm »

I know I shouldn't categorize all digg users in one bucket but when you look at the overall picture and tone of the comments posted on almost all stories, it's Apple or it's nothing. And if it's apple then they do no wrong. If you dare say anything negative expect to be dugg down. I read the site thru bloglines (along with many other tech sites) and I use their RSS feed that shows you every story posted. That way I can make my own determination as to what is good or not. I.e. avoid the flame wars.

Life is too short to argue over OS choice.  Grin

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 12:30:50 pm »

Hello:
Took the time to WADE through all this crap and posted a response that I thought was fitting given the crowd and circumstances.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 12:47:35 pm »

Hello:
Took the time to WADE through all this crap and posted a response that I thought was fitting given the crowd and circumstances.
Regards
Darrell

Yeah, way for everyone to smear off-hand...  Roll Eyes

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:00:12 pm »

Regarding the vast majority of comments on the Digg thread: What a load of unbelievable (and inexcusable) elitist crap. The kids we provide computers to have no problem working with Vector. And Vector works just fine on machines with less than 'Terminator' specs.

I'm posting this - quite effectively, thank you very much - using an IBM 390E, PII 300, 256mb of RAM with Vector 5.8 Standard loaded.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »

Regarding the vast majority of comments on the Digg thread: What a load of unbelievable (and inexcusable) elitist crap. The kids we provide computers to have no problem working with Vector. And Vector works just fine on machines with less than 'Terminator' specs.

Shorter digg response: "1/\/\ R1<|< _|4/\/\3Z 817<|-|!!!111!!!!ONE!!!!111"

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 06:23:37 pm »

I exhibited restraint in my Digg post.....  Wink

My Lions Club refurbishes surplus computers, installs Vector 5.8 Standard Gold and provides the finished machines to kids who are unable to otherwise afford one. The kids we provide computers to have no problem working with Vector. And Vector works just fine on machines with less than 'Terminator' specs.

These kids do homework on AbiWord and learn spreadsheets on Gnumeric. If they are lucky enough to have Internet access, they listen to Streamtuner and burn mp3s using Streamripper. We also work with churches and other non-profits to set-up kids "cyber cafes" where we get the local cable company to donate cable modem access. The kids use these machines to surf the web in a safe and secure environment - again using Vector.

We settled on Vector after trying many - and I do mean many - current Linux distros. Vector installed easier and worked the best on the widest variety of hardware.

Most of the machines we get donated are surplus PIII 500mhz or so with 256mb of RAM. This is a real world program that makes a difference in the lives of some very deserving children. So, you see, even the entry-level machine offered by MadTux is capable of bringing the world to real people who may not have the means to afford the latest 'Terminator' box.

Just my $.02.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: