Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: [Solved] VL5.8 SOHO Splashimage and themefile  (Read 4010 times)

WardBailey

[Solved] VL5.8 SOHO Splashimage and themefile
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:07:41 am »
Installed 5.8 SOHO with no problems on 2 machines, set everything up fine. Shut systems down and rebooted both all was well. I then did package updates on both and that went well, however now when I start either machine I get 2 messages the first message "cannot open theme file /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/GlassLights-SOHO." I removed this line from grub and systems now continue to blue screen and then give message "cannot load splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/bitmap/boot.xpm". I click ok and all continues. By the way Great OS  "FAST"
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 08:35:54 pm by lagagnon »

WardBailey

Re: VL5.8 SOHO Splashimage and themefile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:27:16 am »
I figured out the first problem with splashscreen. Still need help with second problem.

WardBailey

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 10:23:07 am »
The 2 messages I posted are backwards should be other way around

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:36:11 pm »
I have this problem when I change (knowingly or unknowingly) the default VL KDM theme (GlassLights). Thus after I set up everything as I like it and before I reboot I make sure that GlassLights is enabled in KDE's control center (System Administration, KDM Theme Manager).
HTH,
Mike
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143

WardBailey

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:03:10 pm »
Thanks Mike
This solved the problem for me.
Hope you find VL as nice as I do

Ward

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:16:39 pm »
Installed 5.8 SOHO with no problems on 2 machines, set everything up fine. Shut systems down and rebooted both all was well. I then did package updates on both and that went well, however now when I start either machine I get 2 messages the first message "cannot open theme file /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/GlassLights-SOHO." I removed this line from grub and systems now continue to blue screen and then give message "cannot load splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/bitmap/boot.xpm". I click ok and all continues. By the way Great OS  "FAST"
Thanks for your time.

For anyone else who might do this same on SOHO-5.8-Final:
After updating and selecting to update installed applications, UN-SELECT the KDE-Custom package. (View/Marked, then scroll down the list for the kde-custom).
Standard-5.8 users shouldn't have any issue.

There is a small bug (package was built for Standard while SOHO was still in the works), and the crew is aware of this. This package is currently being updated for the SOHO-5.8-Final .

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:47:54 pm »
For anyone else who might do this same on SOHO-5.8-Final:
After updating and selecting to update installed applications, UN-SELECT the KDE-Custom package. (View/Marked, then scroll down the list for the kde-custom).
Standard-5.8 users shouldn't have any issue.

There is a small bug (package was built for Standard while SOHO was still in the works), and the crew is aware of this. This package is currently being updated for the SOHO-5.8-Final .

I thought I was using SOHO 5.8 Final. Is this something that will be added to the repos?

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: [Solved] VL5.8 SOHO Splashimage and themefile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:36:56 am »
I thought I was using SOHO 5.8 Final. Is this something that will be added to the repos?

Yes,
 it is a package with extra boot themes, kdm themes, kicker backgrounds,some bug fixes/updates to existing themes, and more (eyecandy stuff). it is currently in the repo ( in the /extras), but take caution (for now, say maybe just a couple more days?) when adding/updating this package to your SOHO installation through gslapt.
The message was intended for those that simply click the "Mark All Upgrades" button then simply click on Execute.

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: [Solved] VL5.8 SOHO Splashimage and themefile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:25:30 am »
Great, thanks for the "caution".