VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:28:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO or standard?  (Read 3647 times)
acous

« on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:11 am »

After having installed VectorLinux on a friends machine I am so impressed that I desiced to try to get it working on my home comoputer and my work laptop, but I do not know if to install SOHO or standard. What I want is it to be FAST! I guess standard is faster but how much? Both computers are less then 6 months old.

#Home computer: The compter is of desktop type, AMD Athlon X2 Dual 3800+, NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS, 1 Gig RAM etc
will use for:
-play quake 3 arena
-web, movies, music
-matlab
-downloading via bittorrent

#Work Laptop, Fujitsu Siemens LifeBook E8110, 2Ghz intel dual core, 1 gig ram, WLAN, LAN, bluetooth, finger print sensor, IR, mousepad and mouse"stick" 120 Gig HD etc...
will use for:
-matlab
-web, music
-mailclient

Matlab is software that I will try to install myself, "computational software"

I know that SOHO has more software included, but most of it I dont need, and Office I can install via gslapt in standard VL. But has SOHO something beneath the surface that I can use? Only thing I have found in documentation is that it has NVIDIA drivers.

Is it just to choose SOHO for both computers? Or maybe standard for work laptop making it superfast?

You think Vector will work well with these computers?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:23:46 am by acous » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:13:22 am »

VL would definitely work great on these boxes...

As far as choosing the right release goes, that's up to you.
Sounds like you can get by just fine with 5.8 STD. AFAIK, The main differences are in the Desktop managers, mostly just looks.

You prolly wont notice any difference in speed with a machine like yours. so either one would be fine.

As far as Nvidia goes, I've always intalled Nvidia's very own binary, so no problem there

acous

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:28:16 am »

so the only difference except software included is kde or xfce4?

is it possible to install kde from standard?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:40:55 am »

kernel version is different, so not only software differs, but I think the main approach is the same (config files,paths...)

Kde can be installed with slapt-get, so you can "upgrade" std to soho.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 10:24:11 am »

Kde can be installed with slapt-get, so you can "upgrade" std to soho.

To do this use the kdemeta file as this will pull all the dependancies to. One difference with this approach is that there are several customizations in the SOHO version of KDE that would not be present when adding it to 5.8 Std.

HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:39:20 pm »

is it possible to install kde from standard?

If you're going to install KDE in standard you might as well just use SOHO.. Also, I'm not a great fan of the kdemeta package, I rather just get kdebase and it's dependencies and add others when I need them.

I haven't noticed much speed difference between XFCE and KDE though.. I use SOHO with a slightly trimmed down KDE and I installed IceWM in case I need all processor power this little computer has (I'm currently stuck with a 600 MHz p3) for making music.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
acous

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:00:18 pm »

thanks for answers! SOHO successfully installed on home computer, everything worked directly! only one problem with refresh rate (will look at it later), KDE is slower at startup than xfce but I will stick with it since it is much nicer. Will probably install the same on the laptop and also add IceWM for ultrafast startup. VectorLinux really kicks XP's ass! Now I just have to get the apps working. Will be interesting to see how good VL can handle USB-devices on the laptop.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 07:09:14 pm »

If you have problems with the refresh rate, there's a little utility called ddcinfo you can use to get values for your monitor (hopefully). Or were they not set correctly at install? If that be, then what kind of monitor do you have? (viz., manufacturer and model name)

BTW, if you want really fast startup, consider WindowMaker...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
acous

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:31:38 am »

it seems to work!  Grin I can swear that yesterday the refresh rates were weird but i dont remember which app I used, Now I used NVIDIA X server and there everything was perfect!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: