VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL-standard: FTP-server where to get/find?  (Read 2825 times)

Dutchy

VL-standard: FTP-server where to get/find?
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:14:34 am »

Hi,

I'm new to VL, but not to linux. I found VL in my search for a distro that still can run on my trusty old laptop. So far so good, it runs everything I need and installed better than any other lightweight distros.
Now I'm just a tad stuck... I need an ftpserver (ftpd) like vsftp or something, so I can up/download stuff directly from this machine without worrying about the speed.
Gslapt didn't seem to have one in the list, so I was wondering if and where I can find a repository to add or perhaps install an ftp server directly.
I guess there must be one around for VL, but the question is where...

Thanks,
Roy

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL-standard: FTP-server where to get/find?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:07:35 am »

so I was wondering if and where I can find a repository to add or perhaps install an ftp server directly.

You can use Slackware non-system packages for VL, so you will find a Slackware package for vsftp at http://www.linuxpackages.net
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:01:59 pm »

You can grab XAMPP from the repo too, I cant remember wich ftp server is packaged with it, but if you want just the ftp then just go with linuxpackages.net, I install packages from slacky.it also, they work nice on vl.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Dutchy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:27:29 pm »

Due to capset issues I decided to go with ProFTPd, which is now running and does the job wonderfull. Thanks for pointing out LinuxPackages!

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:28:02 pm »

Another solution is to use putty,filezilla or winscp to transfer
files from non Linux machines.

Bigpaws