VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:35:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad inittab entry:  (Read 4898 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: May 23, 2007, 10:03:56 pm »

Hi,

I'm triple-booting my 'puter with Vector, XP, and Puppy. Vector and Windows boot fine but Puppy gives me:

Code:
BIOS data check successful
Uncompressing Linux. . . Ok, booting the kernel.
Bad inittab entry: id:3:initdefault:

I used VASM to set up LiLo.
Puppy uses GrUB but i'm trying LiLo first as i don't want to get too involved with this.

Thanks.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:22:09 pm »

I am going to guess that your /etc/lilo.config has an 'image=' section for your Puppy partition. Personally, I am rarely able to get this to work (the wrong System.map usually gets loaded).

I have found that using the 'other=' for additional Linux partitions works well -- though in theory it should not be necessary. You have to install Puppy's GRUB to its partition's boot sector (not the MBR) and then reboot into Vector and add another Windows entry to Lilo which actually points to the Puppy partition. The last part of your /etc/lilo.config should look something like this:

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda1
  label = Vector
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda2
  label = Windows
  table = /dev/hda
# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda3
  label = Puppy
  table = /dev/hda

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:39:52 am »

I'm booting the same setup VL-XP-Puppy on my machine with lilo with no problem. This might be a dumb question but, you have loaded LILO to the Puppy partion haven't you?

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:02:02 am »

Gamfa: LiLo's installed in the MBR.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:54:17 pm »

Have you edited the inittab file personally?

I'm not sure what would cause such a strange error. Presumably 3 is an acceptable runlevel in Puppy?

It's a stupid, wild-assed guess, but bizarre errors such as these tend to be caused by DOS end-of-lines for me.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:12:03 pm »

I remember similar weirdness trying to multiboot a Puppy partition with lilo and I found my answer in the Puppy forums. Search there for lilo multi boot. Sorry can't remember the solution.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:32:40 pm »

Hm, . . reinstalled Puppy and put GrUB in hda5. . .

. . . Did as saulgoode suggested and i get:

Code:
root:# lilo
Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Added Windows
Added Vector *
Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda5 doesn't have a valid boot signature

I hope i didn't mess up 'cause i'm soooo sleepy righ now. . .

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 12:15:24 am »

Sorry. To my knowledge, LILO is not able to boot to a logical partition. You may need to install Puppy to a primary partition or use GRUB.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: