VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 12:31:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: normal user causes lag  (Read 2878 times)
teamjt

« on: May 22, 2007, 09:43:49 am »

My system is working well except for one thing.  There is a weird lag that shows up as a brief pause every two seconds.  I have tried to change x settings with no change.

Now here's the really strange part.  If I start in TUI mode, and login as root, then startx the lag is gone.  So it only happens in regular user accounts. 

This doesn't happen when I use the 5.8Soho beta, or with Slack 11.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:04 am »

Sounds like perhaps a driver, or maybe a slight misconfiguration in the xorg.conf.
teamjt

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33:53 am »

Any idea about what I should look for in xorg.conf?  Or if it is a driver, how best to troubleshoot to find out where the problem lies.

Thanks for you help.

Jerry
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:44:13 pm »

Did you do a complete (totally fresh) install of SOHO Final? Or did you reuse the '/home' directory/partition?  If you re-used the /home directory then, as a test, you should try creating a new user and see if the new user has the same glitchy problems.  I'm thinking that _maybe_ there are some old configuration references for the current user that wouldn't be present on a newly created user.  Just an idea.

Good luck!
teamjt

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »

I have done several re-installs including repartitioning, and reformatting everything.  The problem is not evident in 5.8 soho beta1, but it is evident in both Final and rc3.  I haven't tried the other release candidates, but something changed between beta1 and final that is causing this problem.  Is it possible that the new ATI drivers are the culprit?  I have a rage mobility 2x AGP card in my laptop, and none of the ati drivers in the list work, so I just cancel out from that prompt and I get an xorg.conf that seems to function.  It seems that the new drivers are for radeon, not rage.  This is just an idea.  If this is the problem how best to fix it?

Jerry
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:07:15 pm »

The proprietary ATI drivers that are installed with VL 5.8 SOHO Final won't work with "legacy" cards, such as yours. The only fix for now is to install the radeon driver on installation. I tried to build the legacy drivers (version 8.28.Cool against the 2.6.20.3 kernel that's in VL 5.8 SOHO Final. However, the kernel module wouldn't build. Without the kernel module, the fglrx module is next to useless.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: