VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:57:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: What would be the killer punch for VL 6 ?
Graphical Installer & VASM - 19 (16.5%)
Super fancy desktop (with Beryl, 3D driver, ...) - 15 (13%)
Great slapt-get based repository - 45 (39.1%)
Fast multimedia system (real-time kernel, jackd, ...) - 23 (20%)
Support thin client SOHO system (linutop, ...) - 7 (6.1%)
Other .... - 6 (5.2%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Punch" for VL-6  (Read 24761 times)
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:20 pm »

Hi folks .... from VL 4.x to VL 5.0, we had some distinguished features, e.g:
- Improved VASM and installer (Thanks to Kocil, Tigger, johnvan, ...)
- Profesional arts (thanks to UKBill, pastored, ...)
- Profesional documentation (thanks to UKBill and his gang)
- Better package management (thanks to Jaos, Kocil, ...)
- Graphical LILO
- The light WDM + IceWM + Rox
- The shining KDE

After that jumping, we have been enjoying more features like :
- Live CD
- TLZ packaging
- Udev based vl-hot
- Boot splash
- Enlightenment
- Beryl

However, VL is still in 5.x series.

So, what would be the killer punch that lift VL to 6.x series ?

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:18:25 pm »

dont have to put beryl on it. Just upgrade glibc and xorg finally. Roll Eyes

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:35:52 am »

dont have to put beryl on it. Just upgrade glibc and xorg finally. Roll Eyes

Slackware 11.1 will do that, hopefully  Grin

The new VASM(2) and the graphical installer are certainly worth being on that list as killer apps for VL6.
The VL 5.8 repos are already quite packed, so the same could be done right from the start for VL6.

What about full source code release too?
We don't currently have anything like SRPM source archives that contain the package source and build script in one bundle...hmm...

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:07:38 am »

OK lets go back to first principles, what do we want Vector Linux to be?

Two main versions - one light and very very fast, and one designed for the Small Office/Home Office.

So what does that mean, given our previously stated goals of choice, speed and stability?

Well the light version, as now should include all the applications you would need for average home use of the computer.... The target market for that is older machines and an extensible base system for newer machines. 

The Soho version should include all that a person would need to run a small business from home - and that by definition probably requires a higher spec machine than the minimum specs for the standard or light version.

For choice - to me anyway - it doesn't mean that we cram everything that we could want on the install disk so that we have 4 or 5 apps that do much the same job, its about having a well stocked repository of applications that install with no problems via the package manager.  Now in the past we have had some problems with apps in the repository not being able to be loaded onto some systems due to the apps being built on specific versions.  This suggests that we may need to organise a separate repository for the standard and the soho versions.... this might go some way to making the system very user friendly.  From this you can tell I voted for the Gslapt and repository option...

But it is more than that, OK there are all the bells and whistles now being added, if we can get those included great, but only when we know that they are bug free enough to go mainstream.... I don't have much experience of them so I can't comment further on that, but Id put them in the nice catagory.

Likewise getting a graphical installler, yes it is newbie friendly if its mainly automated, but make sure we have a robust "text" installer as well....

I'd love to see a return to offering IceWM - with or without ROX, on the the light/standard version, but would be happy to see this as an extra - especially if there was a meta package that could install a version configured to look as good as the version for VL 5.01 and 5.1 did - is that possible?  That would require a unified looks and feel - with themes mirroring the default theme in KDE or Xfce complete with a menu that reflects the aps.

The documentation should be relevant to the version being used, complete with appropriate links the the forums.

And finally it should all work out of the box.

So in short no real knockout punches, just a matter of getting it all to gel and be right.  Incremental improvements.  I suspect the big jump will be the graphical installer - the rest is mainly about polish and balance and continuing to get it right... does that make any sense?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:14:14 am »

Besides fast and rock steady, of course..
a repo stocked with working apps that show up in the start menu.

The thin client option is interesting, as I have been toying with the thought of a fanless, quiet station for my desktop.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:41:47 am »

Put a higher priority on the live CD. I can't pass out free installation disks and expect my friends to install it. But if I give a friend a live CD, there is a good chance he will see VectorLinux in action, and possibly give it a shot. Of course, the live CD should have an install option. Add some utilities like GParted so the live CD can be used as a rescue disk with toolkit. Maybe have a suite of tools listed under a "Rescue" or "Recovery" category available from the V-menu.

GParted
ddrescue
TestDisk
PhotoRec
CmosPwd
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:13:50 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
soren

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 05:09:32 am »

I voted for the repository, and multimedia.

When I tried freebsd I was very impressed with the ports system. I think that making a wide range of programs available to the users, is central to the open source idea. The VL repository is already great, and I see fewer and fewer references to linuxpackages.net and similar sites. This is a huge bonus for VL users, and the packagers are doing a great job, but I still feel that it is important to maintain focus on that area.

VL users are a diverse crowd, but if almost all of us have one thing in common, I think it would be multimedia. Almost everybody is using their computer for some sort of multimedia, and the presence of internet based multimedia services is getting bigger every day. If users can't access their favourite tv channel, radio station, or play their videos and dvd's, I think many will choose other distros.

JMTC,
Søren
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 05:10:29 am »

All I really want is a GUI isntaller and native Xorg 7.x. Eliminate X11R6 dependancy, and all the fancy 3D desktop thingies are just more packages to build.

But I do believe we need to focus on the GUI installer.

hemuli

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:20:40 am »

I don't personally care about fancy graphical installers or cool looking desktops.
What I'd really like too see would be an ultra-light version of VL -sort of bare-bone OS with no X or other additional crap, just slapt to build the system of your choise (especially for low-end machines).

There's distros like that, I know, but Vector is the Vector...

Also the gaming live-dvd sounds great, but I have only CD-drive  Embarrassed
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:55:47 am »

re: multimedia

Make K3b the default burning app for VL 6.0 Standard.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:23:09 am »

re: multimedia

I'm not sure whether that will be done since KDElibs is needed...

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 06:37:57 am »

I don't personally care about fancy graphical installers or cool looking desktops.
What I'd really like too see would be an ultra-light version of VL -sort of bare-bone OS with no X or other additional crap, just slapt to build the system of your choise (especially for low-end machines).

There's distros like that, I know, but Vector is the Vector...

Also the gaming live-dvd sounds great, but I have only CD-drive  Embarrassed
you can do that(no X install) in 5.8 std now and then just slapt-get whatever else you want from there
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 07:56:37 am »

I voted for the graphic installer. I think the text based installer is great, but looks like is important to the newbies, VL was my first linux, I just had to do some reaserch about the partitions, and everything goes from there; but some people will not give a chance to the ncurses installer.
May be VL6 should stay with the VL fundamentals: quick and stable, ligth and flexible. If you have a good hardware support everything else is secondary. I like the "one app for each task" idea. I installed the new soho and its great, but always get lost in those K apps. SOHO is bigger than std, but this doesnt mean it should not be simple. But i guess I am just a std fan  Roll Eyes
I like the linutop idea. I think saving resources is a great principle. Not because the old hard, there is a lot of benefits on it: is ambiental friendly, pocket friendly  (my new baby is making me pour Cheesy ), is efficient. If you keep something simple it will be more productive.
I agree with the need of a ultra-ligth-easy-to-install system, and you could build almost what you want from there with slapt-get.
At last, could be nice a miniproject to intenationalize vector std, something like a wiki could help with trans and with an easy to contrib system.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 09:14:30 am »

I disagree. That defeats the entire purpose of a lighterweight desktop as the KDE libs would have to be loaded to run k3b, thereby consuming unnecessary resources. There are many other burning apps that work just fine:
graveman, xcdroast, bashburn, amongst others...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M-ake

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 11:54:07 am »

For me, VL-6 should have a proper laptop support. Yes, there are the wireless tools etc.....But wheres the synaptic ? Where is the suspend2 ram ? (compiling a new kernel at the moment is just too much to ask for a proper laptop support) 1280 x 800 on intel graphic chips should be made easier to achieve, right now I reckon it is not a newbie-friendly.

Of course, native Xorg 7.x is something I wait as a beryl user. Howerer, I voted for VASM & graphic installer.

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: