VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: What would be the killer punch for VL 6 ?
Graphical Installer & VASM - 19 (16.5%)
Super fancy desktop (with Beryl, 3D driver, ...) - 15 (13%)
Great slapt-get based repository - 45 (39.1%)
Fast multimedia system (real-time kernel, jackd, ...) - 23 (20%)
Support thin client SOHO system (linutop, ...) - 7 (6.1%)
Other .... - 6 (5.2%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Punch" for VL-6  (Read 25388 times)
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2007, 04:21:14 pm »

---snip---
Change of the site's look. The curent theme is terrible and its hard to find a link to the forum,plus you can learn from other websites- add sections that are live,that change oftenly. My best bet is to integrate somehow with the forum as much as possible.Have links to latest threads of this and that. If gra[hic files are needed,i will try to provide.  Roll Eyes  There are wonderfull site templates and themes that are open source.
http://www.openwebdesign.org/most_popular.phtml
http://www.opensourcetemplates.org/
http://www.oswd.org/
you can take one and modify it abit to fit Vec.

if not Use this Forum's theme if thats not troublesome.Mimic it! I know a few web designers who will help gladly for free.

Right now, vector is working as both lead dev and webmaster, so guess what gets shortchanged? The web site.  Angry Keep that in mind when complaining about the design of the main site, or lack thereof.

As for the offer of help in maintaining the site, I'm very skeptical, because we've had people who have said they would help with the web site, only to back out for whatever reason. I'll believe the offer of web designers either when I see vector posting an annoucement that we have one or if one of them posts here and says he/she is willing to do it and then follows through and does it.

To quote former US Congressman Michael "Ozzie" Myers from the ABSCAM tapes, "Money talks, bullshit walks."  Lips sealed

::: end of rant :::

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 05:04:11 pm »

You can also add a simple gallery for users,where they can upload screenshots of their desktop. This will definatelly trigger some additional fame to vec's comunity.

I think this is an excellent idea. Since we seem to have a wide range of tastes in desktops, from minimalist to 3D, the gallery would display the versatility of VL.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2007, 09:30:58 pm »

As for the offer of help in maintaining the site, I'm very skeptical, because we've had people who have said they would help with the web site, only to back out for whatever reason.

I am currently assisting in updating the website but for "content and text" only. I do not have the skill, time or inclination to assist with web design or re-design of the website. All of the reviews, testimonials, mirrors, downloads, links, screenshots, version info, etc have all been updated within the last month so at least in terms of overall text content the website is now much more up-to-date. If anyone notes anything they feel needs editing, removal or added please feel free to PM me and I will consider it for inclusion - however, this pertains to text info only. I have no intentions of changing the web design or layout.

In fact, I have to disagree with blurymind - I personally don't see too much wrong with our website in general.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 12:42:04 am »

theres nothing wrong with the website,guys. I just say you should change its look with every new big version release. I am not questioning your ability as a site maintainer or designer.Vl6 deserves a new website look,since that will be what the newcoming users will see before downloading it.

The layout of curent website is not wrong. The only thing I dont like is the Logo banner at top and that its hard to find a link to the forum itself.  If you don't have the manpower,will or time,leave it as it is. Roll Eyes

The website itself is for a different thread. No new ideas can be harmful,since they are only words and nobody triggered them,since nobody wants to. No need to deffend.

Im always criticising everything.To me- everything can be done better,nothings perfect- never.Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:52:15 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 07:38:56 am »

I just say you should change its look with every new big version release.

Why? There is a lot to be said for familiarity. Personally, I don't like to have to learn to navigate a website that changes frequently.

Vl6 deserves a new website look,since that will be what the newcoming users will see before downloading it.

If they're new users checking us out before they download the ISO, the site will look new to them regardless of how long it's been the same. Wink

I'm not saying the site couldn't be improved. I've seen far worse, though.

As for a link to the forum being hard to find, it's right there in the top left column under Main Menu. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a new section called Support right under the Main Menu section. It could include links to Support Forum and Documentation.

As always, it's a question of who's going to do the job. We certainly can't expect people already heavily involved (as volunteers, yet) to do even more.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2007, 10:40:20 pm »

In particular, I'd like to see the wall between SOHO and Standard torn down, and LiveCD too if possible.  Develop concurrently, release concurrently.

We have had this idea since SOHO 5.0 development, known as vectelopment system.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/development/vectelopment-5.0/doc1/0-THE_PROPOSAL

We wrote a lot about this in the vector Linux WIKI.
Unfortunatelly, the wiki was hacked, never recovered,
and the idea is gone with that too  Cry

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 06:35:52 am »

I just say you should change its look with every new big version release.

Why? There is a lot to be said for familiarity. Personally, I don't like to have to learn to navigate a website that changes frequently.

Vl6 deserves a new website look,since that will be what the newcoming users will see before downloading it.

If they're new users checking us out before they download the ISO, the site will look new to them regardless of how long it's been the same. Wink

I'm not saying the site couldn't be improved. I've seen far worse, though.

As for a link to the forum being hard to find, it's right there in the top left column under Main Menu. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a new section called Support right under the Main Menu section. It could include links to Support Forum and Documentation.

As always, it's a question of who's going to do the job. We certainly can't expect people already heavily involved (as volunteers, yet) to do even more.
--GrannyGeek
if Vl-team is open to talk about the site, lest start a thread about it. If not, i wont continue in this thread,because its not about it. If we continue to argue, we wont achieve anything. When or if you decide to change its look,first look at other distros websites and try to compete with them.

If we have to put people's views, let them vote about the design, people that arent vector devs, you will see that they'll agree with me that zenwalk and many other distros have a better designed website. Simpler to navigate, with bigger links,that are found easily, with better colors and layout, better banner (i dont really care about the slogan,just the way it looks),better fonts too.Thats my point of view.I will not change it,but i will shut up about it. The curent VL website just looks old,as if it was made 5 or 6 years ago by enthusiasts...and its harder to navigate.I think who ever made it,made it for a 800x600 monitors. This forum's design looks better than it,and manages to pull out the Bluish look far better.Use its colors and design 1:1 and you wont lose. If you do, why not integrate it with main site,just as Wolvix did? Their website is superb at that.If its integrated the user will log in directly at the main page,se the latest posts from the main page,see latest packages at the repo in the main page... Thats what a main page should do- integrate with the flow of information and show the latest.If it does,people will visit it more oftenly and look at it.Not only newcoming users,but vl users. As it is now,i have the feeling that everybody just ignores the main page and visits only the forum.
Sabayon,zenwalk,wolvix,pclinuxos,...etc- thats the case with most distros out there,that are in the top of the charts(top20?) -they all try to show everything thats new at the main page and link to it. Wheter if its a forum post,users online,new pms in the inbox,last uploaded package,last uploaded picture,anything goes.Web2.0 is the way to go,i say. Not only admins, the whole comunity should affect whats going on the main page. Just look at wolvix's page with its sections and everything.Look at the other websites.Compete if you want to win.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:03:06 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 05:42:38 pm »

that everybody just ignores the main page and visits only the forum.

True for me. Agree a separate thread is needed. Also understand hesitation of devs as lots of "I can do this..." goes on without substance - I am guilty of it myself.

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2007, 06:39:09 am »

...everybody just ignores the main page and visits only the forum.

There is no link to the Main Page from the Forum. Since most people come straight to the Forum and hang out here, then the Forum is the logical place to put a link to the Main Page, to invite visitors and members to have a look see.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:13:40 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2007, 04:53:50 pm »

There is no link to the Main Page from the Forum.

There is a link to the forum from the Forum's main page. It's under Main Menu on the left.

]quote]the Forum is the logical place to put a link to the Main Page, to invite visitors and members to have a look see.[/quote]

I agree that a link from the Forum to the Main Page is a great idea.
--GrannyGeek

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2007, 08:00:03 pm »

Another place to put a link to VL's home page (from the Forum) is in the "Jump to" drop-down menu at the bottom of Forum pages.

It may be confusing that the Forum has a tab for HOME, its index page, and VL has a home page, which blurymind called the main page. I would suggest renaming the Forum HOME tab as MAIN,* and keeping VL home page as Home.

* If not MAIN, then INDEX.

EDIT: phpBB forum software (Debian,Mint,Puppy) uses "FORUM INDEX".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:59:50 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 06:59:30 am »

I like the look of the Ultima forum;

http://www.ultimalinux.com/
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 07:09:10 am »

I don't really understand that statement I'm afraid. xfce is automatically installed properly in VL5.8 Standard. Do you mean mess up the configuration files? There is a feature already in VASM to cope with such issues which is "VASM, SKEL".

I've had a look at the VASM menus and couldn't find it. But anyway, SKEL isn't an intuitive place to look when your window manager is called Xfce. I think that part of the config needs to be made more user-friendly, since Xfce seems prone to mishaps (I don't use it anymore).

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:19:10 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2007, 09:13:28 am »

Ubuntu and Koolu have established a business partnership. VectorLinux should get a miniPC partner. It would be good publicity, and maybe we could negotiate a cut of the proceeds.

Koolu Tiny PC, Ubuntu Certified, fanless PC
http://www.koolu.com/

other miniPCs:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3000.0

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:19:22 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56:55 pm »

I've had a look at the VASM menus and couldn't find it. But anyway, SKEL isn't an intuitive place to look when your window manager is called Xfce. I think that part of the config needs to be made more user-friendly, since Xfce seems prone to mishaps (I don't use it anymore).

As soon as you start VASM, the first screen has
SKEL    Reset default settings

I agree that it's not so obvious that SKEL will fix a messed up XFce. At least, not obvious enough for a newbie.

No XFce mishaps here since beta testing days for 5.8. I use it happily.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: