VectorLinux
October 26, 2014, 01:13:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: What would be the killer punch for VL 6 ?
Graphical Installer & VASM - 19 (16.5%)
Super fancy desktop (with Beryl, 3D driver, ...) - 15 (13%)
Great slapt-get based repository - 45 (39.1%)
Fast multimedia system (real-time kernel, jackd, ...) - 23 (20%)
Support thin client SOHO system (linutop, ...) - 7 (6.1%)
Other .... - 6 (5.2%)
Total Voters: 66

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Punch" for VL-6  (Read 26722 times)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2007, 08:27:38 pm »

As soon as you start VASM, the first screen has
SKEL    Reset default settings

Just a quick clarification: User mode, not root mode.
Toe

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:38 pm »

We have had this idea since SOHO 5.0 development, known as vectelopment system.
Yeah, I was aware that my suggestions at least somewhat overlapped the Vectelopment idea.  But what I was never sure of was how much of that stuff was actually implemented, and how much is still done manually.  What all is still really needed?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2007, 02:37:03 am »

@ blurymind:

About the website, I remember there was discussion about a new one that UKBill was working on while the old boards were still working:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum1/index.php?topic=10192.msg59231#msg59231

The link in vector's post no longer works, but I still have a vague idea of what it looked like...was pretty neat. You may remember it too since you were already registered back then.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2007, 07:07:35 am »

@ blurymind:

About the website, I remember there was discussion about a new one that UKBill was working on while the old boards were still working:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum1/index.php?topic=10192.msg59231#msg59231

The link in vector's post no longer works, but I still have a vague idea of what it looked like...was pretty neat. You may remember it too since you were already registered back then.

I get "Forbiten" when i try to access the link in the first post. Is that Joomla?

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2007, 07:27:42 am »

Yeah, it was, but it seems to be offline now. Wonder if anyone has a copy of it though....the WaybackMachine didn't have anything in its archives.

Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2007, 10:13:28 pm »

Yeah, I was aware that my suggestions at least somewhat overlapped the Vectelopment idea.  But what I was never sure of was how much of that stuff was actually implemented, and how much is still done manually.  What all is still really needed?

Well, ... the state of vectelopment is still "Work if used by the creator, nobody else can use it"  Grin

kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2007, 05:16:16 am »

Like Blurrymind mentioned, not Beryl, but xorg upgrade to 7. Also a more robust slapt-get. But xorg upgrade has been my lacking in Vl for a while now.
cintyram
Packager

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2007, 03:30:06 pm »

Well, ... the state of vectelopment is still "Work if used by the creator, nobody else can use it"  Grin

Kocil,
 if you are referring to the text files you had prepared about how to create a new distro off of dynamite: they owrk:) i built VL once using that document as a guide.  But you are right, more work may need to go in there:)
cheers
ram
ekp

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2007, 07:23:51 pm »

This is not on your list but I find that there is not enough difference in user interface from distro to distro.  Vector needs its own signature look ie PClinuxOS.  I know I am talking just aesthetics but KDE is getting pretty boring.
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2007, 10:16:03 am »

I have installed vl-5.9 rc1 on my desktop and attempted to install on my laptop, both are older machines (~6 yrs old). Here are my thoughts:

1. Hardware detection - On the desktop I have an old matrox video card and a fairly old tangent panel monitor. VL had a hard time with the video settings, expecially in xfce. On the laptop I can't even get to boot. I tried several cheat codes and kernel options, but couldn't get it loaded.

2. GUI's - I would like to see vasm simplified and iconified. Dreamlinux and wolvix have some great looking system windows. A graphical installer would be nice, but other issues need to be addressed first perhaps.

3. Repos - Look pretty good, but ... For example, I could only find xfburn installed. I looked in the repo and could not find brasero or gnomebaker. Could not find them at linuxpackes or slacky. Couldn't find graveman either. I could install k3b but I don't want any kde components. Is bashburn my only option?

4. iso size - The iso seems to have grown to the size of soho. Any chance of taming it? Maybe target 500 mg?

Overall I like what I saw and am impressed at the growth of vl. The inclusion of fluxbox was a pleasant surprise as was what was achieved with the look of it. Hope to see some more growth on the final iso. Thanks.

john
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2007, 11:04:41 am »

... I have an old matrox video card and a fairly old tangent panel monitor. VL had a hard time with the video settings,
I too have had problems with old Matrox cards. Just changing the Driver to "vesa" and/or the DefaultDepth from 24 to 16 works wonders for me.
I would like to see vasm simplified and iconified
Have you tried vasmcc on VL5.9RC1.7 ???
..I could only find xfburn installed. I looked in the repo and could not find brasero or gnomebaker. Could not find them at linuxpackes or slacky. Couldn't find graveman either. I could install k3b but I don't want any kde components.
Try VL5.9RC1.7, k3b is included. GnomeBaker and Brasero are NOT options for VL as they require too many Gnome libraries.
... iso size - The iso seems to have grown to the size of soho. Any chance of taming it? Maybe target 500 mg?
We're damned if we don't and damned if we do, it seems. Every single time we create a new distro we get requests for additional software, this time its k3b, Acrobat Reader, fluxbox (! see your comment) and jwm. Plus everyone wants all the standard stuff as well as 3 browsers!!! However, the installer gives you the option to not install a lot of software right off the bat, so you can get it to 500MB if you wish.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2007, 01:56:04 pm »

Why I like Vector Linux (and my suggestions for future releases)

1. fast installer (keep it text-based and don`t make LiveCD, follow Slackware`s "Keep it simple, stupid" rule. LiveCD will not make windows user to switch to VL. I think that linux generally is not designed for average-joe users but that`s my opinion anyway.)

2. SOHO and KDE comes with almost every application I need (so concentrate on SOHO which is fast and usable, especially konqueror with its ability to split windows and open sftp://, ftp:// or smb:// session in them - wonderful. I can easily add a samba printer in KDE, which I cannot under XFCE, digikam works much better for me than gtkam, etc. Open Office is the only competitor to MS Office, so if you want to target less geeky audience drop VL standard edition and concentrate on SOHO unless you add konqueror, k3b, OO and digikam to VL Standard Smiley)

3.It has flash, java and codecs available out of the box and It has mplayer and mencoder and vlc.

What I don`t like in Vector Linux (and my suggestions for future releases)

4. Buggy VASM (this tool would be very useful but needs improvements)

5. Poor laptop support (wireless, hibernation etc). Laptops will dominate soon and this must be kept in mind.

6. Poor repository. I couldn`t find for example Skype for my SOHO 5.8 in VL repository and had to download  Slackware 11 version. This is minor problem if you want to target geeks who compile apps themselves, but less geeky users need better availability of packages. (Anyway, in future releases remain compatible with Slackware)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:19:38 pm by wm » Logged

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2007, 02:22:53 pm »

I love the fluxbox DM wish it had it own config tool Like wbar also.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:05 pm »

wm, hibernation is already good-to-go in VL 5.9. AFAIK, TuxOnIce is patched into the kernel. That should allow full suspend-to-disk (at least it does on my laptop).

Wireless is a very sticky issue, but yeah it would be cool to have some sort of "automagical" tool for wireless networking in VL 6.0 (but without the need for tons of GNOME libraries and system resources, like NetworkManager requires).

About Skype: legally we can't distribute it. The Skype license forbids distributing the software via servers not affiliated with Skype in some way. Yeah, what a bummer, but its proprietary software, so meh....

About Vasm: please try VasmCC in VL 5.9 RC1.7, i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:27:07 pm by easuter » Logged

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2007, 04:04:27 pm »

I love the fluxbox DM wish it had it own config tool...

kc1di: There are some config tools around for Fluxbox. I tried two of them about 2 years ago but did not find they were that useful, given that the fluxbox config files are very easy to deal with. They are all in ~/.fluxbox and if you look a them you will see how straighforward it is to do things like change hotkeys, change the menu etc. Just an idea for you. Also there are numerous pre-supplied themes already loaded - if you go to the Fluxbox sub-menu they are all there. It is also very easy to add other Fluxbox themes. If you have trouble with any fluxbox config stuff I might be able to help you out.

PS: is your username your amateur radio callsign?, cuz it looks like one to me. I'm VE7EA by the way, if that matters.  Wink 73's

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: