VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 01:41:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how do i make firefox addons available to all users?  (Read 2545 times)
jklslvch

« on: May 24, 2007, 05:46:18 pm »

Hey I downloaded some firefox addons while i was running as root but in any other account I dont have them installed. How can a make the addons available for all accounts that I have. I tried to copy the ./mozilla folder to the other acounts home folder but whenever i open up firefox on that account it just says that there is another instance of firefox already running (when there is not).
thegeekster

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:01:54 pm »

You need to install them in the firefox installation directory, which should be in /usr/lib/firefox.........The way to do that is to cancel after downloading it, otherwise accepting it will install it to your $HOME/mozilla/firefox directory............

You need to pay attention to the dialog box because sometimes the addon will only be installed in the main installation directory, or possibly in the user's home directory..........It should say something along the lines of "Press the accept button to install this extension in your user profile, else press cancel to install it in the firefox directory"........Maybe not those exact words, but you get the idea..... Smiley

HTH
---thegeekster
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:13:45 pm »

To add to thegeekster's post, if you do install Firefox add-ons into the application directory, make sure you save a copy of each .xpi file. Otherwise, if you should upgrade the Firefox package with another Slack-style package (as opposed to upgrading via Help -> Check for Upgrades as root), you'll lose all of your add-ons and will need to reinstall them.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: