VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 05:14:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canon LBP2900 printer working!  (Read 6195 times)
forbajato
Packager

« on: May 25, 2007, 01:37:30 am »

Finally!  I got the Canon LBP2900 printer working.  Here is the link that fixed all my problems, follow the directions carefully:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters/CanonPrinters/Canon_LBP_2900

One error that I was getting was:

/usr/lib/cups/backend/ccp failed

After going over and over this I discovered that I had not set my /var/ccpd/fifo0 file to make it world accessible, setting this (and restarting cups and ccpd) did the trick!.

As best I can tell the script in the ubuntu tutorial is only for setting up ccpd to automatically start when you power on.

Hope this helps other people who may be banging there head against the wall like I have been!  Thanks to the community for your pointers and help.

forbajato
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:11:54 am »

Congratulations! Many printers install very easily in Linux, but when we're struggling with one that doesn't, it's a thrill to get it working. Thanks for reporting how you did it. That will doubtless help someone else who is facing the same situation.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:30:54 am »

Actually I also bought a canon because of the "perfect result" as mentioned at linuxprinting.org. Expected it to be a easy installation.
But perfectness takes some time. I bought (the cheap) Canon MP160 all in one printer.
May way:
*first mess around with gutenprint 5.1.3 to try to install multipass mp150, which seems to be installed under ubuntu but is not present in the database of gutenprint 5.0 (which ships with VL5.8SOHO) Multipass mp160 als not found. But I think my hands are too big (or my brains to small) but I am not sure if it is installed. Anyway, still no mp150 or mp160 to be found in cups. (you can skip this step)
*Then downloaded the rpm files from http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?fuseaction=support&prod_type=bj_aio&country=SG (which should be four, 2 for printing and 2 for scanning, you can skip the source.rpm
*Then read the post of forbajato and try rpm. When I clicked on an rpm within KDE, Kpackage opens and after pushing Install there are some dependencies trouble. (you can skip this step)
*Now I got smart: I opened a terminal, logged in as root, opened MC (oh beautiful MC) selected a rpm file and F2, et voila, it works! Four times homerun and rpms are installed!
*Open cups selected my printing and the driver, which acts like he has been there for ages, and the test pages is in my hands drying after his birth (ohoh emotions).
*Also oo.org did produce some ink on pager.

On http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_MP160 they only tell how to install for ubuntu. So I thought that it would be handy for others if I explained it for VL-users. And you might notice that the our hard way is easier than their hard way  Wink

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:29:57 pm »

Thanks so much for posting this! I got a Canon MP 160 free after rebates when I bought my new laptop and of course, I want to use it in Linux. Your instructions will make it a lot easier.

For a free MFP, I thought it printed very nicely in Windows. Is the scanner part working in Linux?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 06:19:03 am »

Thanks so much for posting this! I got a Canon MP 160 free after rebates when I bought my new laptop and of course, I want to use it in Linux. Your instructions will make it a lot easier.

For a free MFP, I thought it printed very nicely in Windows. Is the scanner part working in Linux?
--GrannyGeek
With gimp (ScanGear) it does. Xsane doesn't find the device. But that's all I tried. Maybe a real nerd can answer that quetion.......
It makes good pictures for little money. Grin

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: