VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 09:09:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: new MS product, WHS  (Read 7151 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 02:24:38 pm »

My main problem with ms is not their os are bad. Most of linux users lost time looking for ms os weakness. Linux is not perfect. Is true linux can do those things better since like 10 millions of years ago. They just take a good idea from something else, pay a lot of devs to make them user friendly, and they sell it to everybody.

Unfortunately, even though WHS does seem to have good points, MS never loses a chance to turn one of its products into a lock-in device  Roll Eyes

The lock-in device is the way to make a standard. Once a standard is there, then you can make all things user-friendly, because they can do just one thing for one kind of person, no need of config files so.

But my point is, the problem is about ethics, no tech. A guy is developing an os. It is the worst ever, but he is a nice guy, so no problem. If everybody buy his os, no problem. He wats to make a monopoly, now we have a problem.
The open source is a about ethic. If a country cant pay patents of meds, the people die (that happens, btw) So we need open source medicine. The same with software, but people dont die so, is not a big problem  Roll Eyes.
It is not against the rules say something nice about Microsoft, but they are not nice people, Granny. They are not like you.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 02:33:05 pm »

To be fair, MS' actions are really not on the same order of magnitude as people who jump at the opportunity to make drugs to cure trivial nonsense like ED, but half-hearted efforts against malaria and other diseases that really matter. (Or the soulless counterfeiters, for that matter.)

Nonetheless, they cause harm at a different level: by making it difficult for the developing world to advance technologically, and by spying on their users. That they are an abusive monopoly is recognized internationally and indisputable.

(But as a heavy Google user, I'll admit I'm somewhat complacent in the spying matter.)

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 03:17:35 pm »

To be fair, MS' actions are really not on the same order of magnitude as people who jump at the opportunity to make drugs to cure trivial nonsense like ED, but half-hearted efforts against malaria and other diseases that really matter. (Or the soulless counterfeiters, for that matter.)

Yes, of course. They are not on the same order. I just want to point open software is more than a freak-hacker dream. But my argument is wrong, I am sorry. Makes look who are against it like a monster who dont care about people, that is not the way.

Nonetheless, they cause harm at a different level: by making it difficult for the developing world to advance technologically, and by spying on their users. That they are an abusive monopoly is recognized internationally and indisputable.

(But as a heavy Google user, I'll admit I'm somewhat complacent in the spying matter.)

Rigth. I see the linux project like a realization of the enligthenment idea, knowledge shared by lot of people for the goodness of the community (not just the users community, I mean the society). You cant say this about MS, this is really my point.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 11:07:36 pm »

I was reading a forum a while back it was FOSS Project based in India. One particular thread talked about how a Voip phone system was online in a small rural village. Powered by a bicycle and Linux was the desktop on the laptop. Other Linux technologies were also involved in this.  I was really taken back by that story, and that is why I like Vector Linux so much. Possibilities are endless. That M$ cannot do, not won’t, can’t. I lost track of that thread a few years back after reading it 100 times over and over everyday. Really sorry I lost that it would have been good for this thread.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: