VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:40:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The installer can't find the iso in C:\  (Read 2980 times)
bzipitidoo

« on: May 25, 2007, 09:14:45 pm »

Last post wasn't too clear that I was asking a question, so asking again.

I'm trying to install Vector Std 5.8 from Windows 98, with the ISO image (no CD for this old laptop).  Loadlin can boot the ISO, but the installer can't find it.  What do I have to name the ISO, and where do I put it?  C: is FAT, the ISO is in the root directory, and is called VL58.ISO, but the installer only gives an error saying it can't find the ISO.  Tried several other locations and names, but no luck.

Or, where's the source code for the installer?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:53:33 am »

Here is the howto:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/vl50/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html

HTH

Bigpaws
bzipitidoo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:39:06 am »

Do you mean this installation guide?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html
Link you gave didn't work.

Yes, I've read that.  It said:
Put it (the ISO file) on top level directory (C:\ or D:\)

And the 5.8 (but not the 5.0) installation guide also said:
You MUST now rename the iso to follow DOS 8.3 filename specs (e.g. VL58.ISO, not vl58.1.24vl5.iso), and the filename should be all capital letters.

Does the file system on C: have to be NTFS?  Shouldn't FAT work fine?  Maybe the ISO shouldn't be named VL58.ISO but something else?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:43:04 am »

The FAT file system should work well.

* The next files should be placed into C:\loadlin
          o loadlin.exe
            Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory within the FTP site.
          o initrd.img
            Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” within the FTP site
          o The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
            You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory within FTP site.

Then proceed with the installation:

* Shutdown Windows to DOS mode.
    * Type “cd C:\loadlin” <enter> (without quotes)
    * Type “loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img” <enter> (without quotes).

You should replace the “ide” with the name of the kernel that you downloaded earlier. The standard installation process will be started.

Did you follow the above, so that in C:you should have 5.8.ISO and then the loadlin directory?

Did you use the kernel name instead of the ide?

Bigpaws
bzipitidoo

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:21:18 pm »

Yes, did all that.  There was no ide kernel, so I used the sata kernel from the iso.  (Mounted the iso and copied sata into c:\loadlin.)  Yes, loadlin booted up the sata kernel, and found the initrd.  The installer started.  It's on the 2nd screen of the installer where things go wrong.  The installer does not find C:\VL58.ISO, and gives an error message saying so.

I wonder if the sata kernel could be missing vfat?  I think vfat is in there, because if I recall, I was able to mount C: (/dev/hda) from the shell.  I'll have to try again to be sure.  Maybe the installer is looking for a specific name, and that name is not VL58.ISO?  If so, what name would that be?  I tried putting the iso in c:\loadlin.  Didn't help.
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:08:23 am »

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what you're doing. What I can suggest to you now is, mount your hard drive, then mount the iso somewhere and then try running "/usr/sbin/setup --hosted" again and see if it helps.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
bzipitidoo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 06:46:44 am »

Aha!  FAT isn't in the sata kernel.  I booted again and tried:

# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/source
mount: fs type vfat not supported by kernel
# modprobe vfat
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/source
mount: fs type vfat not supported by kernel

So, I'll have to get another kernel.  Doubt the scsi kernel will work, but can give it a try.  5.8 doesn't have a kernel called ide.  There's got to be some place I can get these kernels other than the iso images.  I'd rather not download the whole VectorLinux 5.0 iso just in case it has an ide kernel.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:02:22 am »

this kernel should have what you need
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/kernels/kernel-2.6.21.1-i586-1vl58.tlz
bzipitidoo

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 07:26:32 am »

I worked around the problem.  Used the ide kernel from Vector Linux 5.0, which I got from here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.0/isolinux/kernel/ide

Now to find out if Vector Linux comes up faster than Slackware 10.0's 61 seconds, and whether Firefox come up faster than the blazing 29 seconds it takes under Slackware 10.0.  That is, if I don't run out of room on the hard drive first.  Could use Reiser4-- gives a bit more room than Reiserfs 3.    Everyone should have to use an old computer once in a while to appreciate how bloated software has become.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: