VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 05:01:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XFS -REISERFS-EXT3 ?  (Read 2903 times)
robert.linuxuser:-)

« on: May 25, 2007, 09:36:25 pm »

Hello.
I have a question....what it is the recommendet file system  for running VLinux , XFS -REISERFS-EXT3 ? XFS it is just for 64bit systems or it is for 32 ? it it better?   Huh
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:11:20 pm »

There are several threads on this forum about this very issue. I prefer reiserfs as it is faster and more efficient than ext3. XFS can be used with 32 bit systems without any problems that I'm aware of (as I have used it several times with VL on my 32bit system). It is not recommended to use it on your root partition if you want your boot-loader in the superblock of that partition. XFS is touted to be at its best when manipulating large files (e.g. 1Gb or larger in size). Perhaps a few things in ext3's favor is that it has been around for longer than the other two and if ext4 ever gets out of development there would probably be a way to convert ext3 to ext4. Time will tell on that one. There are several other nuances that are interesting to consider but unless you are limited in resources (processor, disk, RAM, etc.) all will probably perform well with little if any perceivable differences.
HTH some,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:23:45 am »

Thanks Mike  Wink i understand now.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:55:33 am »

robert.linuxuser:-) I trust I did not insinuate RTM to you. Shocked
For some unknown quirk I really enjoy checking out file system structures (not that I'm by any means an expert). There are several that are in development that go way beyond what the current ones can do. Sun has a really nice one but still not bootable last I checked. Reiser4 is also one that had potential but significant legal problems with the lead developer seems to have killed (no pun intended) the project for all practical purposes. XFS and JFS also have advantages if you know that your files will specifically benefit from them. I really didn't find that XFS or JFS added anything over reiserfs for general usage but any of those three seem to be superior to ext3 in head-to-head comparisons. ext2 is faster than the journaled file systems but if you have a power outage or other unintended system stoppage then you're in trouble (hours or days to recover). Well, that's probably more than you wanted to read but I didn't want to seem insulting from my previous post...it was not my intent at all.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:57:08 am by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:01:08 pm »

Mike...ewerithing it is ok :-)) thanks again for your ansvers . 
Thanks Mike  Wink i understand now.
my reply was sincerely , sorry if you understand something else  Lips sealed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: