VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 07:58:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: switching desktop environments  (Read 3582 times)
synapse

« on: May 26, 2007, 10:52:57 pm »

Hi! i have a question... how can switch between icewm and xfce? i have both installed and i would like to use both, depending on what i'm doing and how much resources do i need to do that! i'm using 5.8 standard gold if it matters...
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:23:34 am »

You could switch to another virtual terminal (tty - is that what it's called?) by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F# (F4-F8 [I think] and F7 is the default tty).  Then just switch between the two as needed - have one logged into xfce and another logged into IceWM.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:22:07 am »

You could switch to another virtual terminal (tty - is that what it's called?) by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F# (F4-F8 [I think] and F7 is the default tty).  Then just switch between the two as needed - have one logged into xfce and another logged into IceWM.

But if the goal is saving resources, wouldn't having two desktops running in two consoles consume more than having XFce open in one?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02:16 am »

But if the goal is saving resources, wouldn't having two desktops running in two consoles consume more than having XFce open in one?
--GrannyGeek

You're absolutely correct.  If the goal is saving resources then your best bet is probably just quiting xfce and starting icewm when you need to switch.  The time factor is pretty minimal and you don't have to have two wms running at all times.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:20 am »

Synapse can correct me if I'm wrong but perhaps the question is not how to run both simultaneously but how to, after logging out of one, start the other. So...after booting your machine or logging out of the currently used window manager (WM) one must change the "session type" to another WM before logging in again. If you use a text mode login (2 or 3) then at the command line you would type the appropriate "start ..." command. I don't know what each (IceWM and xfce) uses though.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:58:37 pm »

Some windowmanagers allow you to swap from one wm to other. Ratpoison for example has tmpwm and newwm that allow you to use temporally another windowmanager, or shutdown ratpoison and start another wm.

Xnest is a software that allows to start X sessions inside other X sessions, so you could start one inside another.

IMHO Combining IceWM and xfce doesn't make much sense as they are pretty similar.  I Only used Xnest when I modified the code of a windowmanager (guess which? Smiley).  It allowed me to test changes without having to log off and on every time.
I used tmpwm only when I had to use some rude apps that spawn lots of windows (gimp,cgoban...).

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 01:13:47 pm »

The command to start Xfce from the console is "startxfce4" in VL 5.8.  I think the command to start IceWm is simply "starticewm."

If you're using KDM, you can log out of your current window manager/Desktop Environment, and then log into a new one by clicking on "Session," choosing your new WM/DE, and then log in.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:26:17 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:09:07 am »

It seems to me not much added resouces is needed to run 2 desktops simultaneously as for my experiences.

I use the following command in a terminal:

startx /usr/bin/wmaker -- :1&

to start wmaker lets say from xfce4.

To switch from one to the other:

Ctrl-Alt-F7 or F8, F7 being the default
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 07:27:25 am »

It seems to me not much added resouces is needed to run 2 desktops simultaneously as for my experiences.

There has to be some memory useage of the extra WM. You could find out exactly how much by running the command "free" before and after loading the second WM.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 06:54:38 pm »

There has to be some memory useage of the extra WM. You could find out exactly how much by running the command "free" before and after loading the second WM.

Yes: free before 190024
              after   197860

in quoted example.

And BTW do not kill the terminal you started the other desktop from use exit if you want to close the terminal otherwise the desktop launched will be killed as well.

Regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: