VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 12:05:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop configuration  (Read 3181 times)
vl-end-user

« on: May 27, 2007, 09:23:49 am »

It is really great that VectorLinux can safe settings from the previous VectorLinux, when upgrading.

The only thing that is not saveable yet to an upgrade, is the Control Center or Desktop (look and feel) configuration.
I hope the Desktop configuration can be saved in new VL releases.

Furthermore, it would be nice to be able to configure a Desktop and have the option to apply this configuration to any other user, instantly.
If that is possible, you can save different configurations that you can apply to different users in the way themes are now applied on the Desktop.
The only disadvantage would be that Root can change the look and feel of a users Desktop, drastically, instantly.

To save more time, I suggest to use options that allow 2 or 3 configuration settings in just one checkbox.
Some settings have a connection with each other.
Example: Someone who checks to show the content of a moving window will in general also check the box to show the content of a window when resizing.
Let's have a detailed Desktop configuration for the users who need it, and a general Desktop configuration for people who want to strike 2 or 3 options with checking only one checkbox. 

Instead of: "Display content in moving windows"
                  "Display content in resizing windows"
I suggest: "Display content in moving/resizing windows".

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:36:00 am by vl-end-user » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:01 am »

The only thing that is not saveable yet to an upgrade, is the Control Center or Desktop (look and feel) configuration.
I hope the Desktop configuration can be saved in new VL releases.
KDE settings for users are stored in the /home/username/.kde and /home/username/.config directories. In order for the new updated menu, icons general configuration files of the newer isntalled VL version to present itself to users after installation the skeleton directories (e.g. .kde and .config) are copied automatically from /etc/skel/ when a new user is created. To not do this means the user would be totally confused with an old menu from an old system - an unworkable situation.

So I don't really think what you suggest would be a feasable option.

Furthermore, it would be nice to be able to configure a Desktop and have the option to apply this configuration to any other user, instantly.
You can do this by logging in as the new user and copying across the newly configured .kde and .config directories from the  other user, in about 3 seconds:

cp -r /home/olduser/.kde /home/newuser/.kde
cp -r /home/olduser/.config /home/newuser/.config

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
vl-end-user

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 10:54:30 am »

Thanks for the tip to copy the .kde and .config directories.

I realize that the organization of the Control Center is probably under the jurisdiction of the KDE team.

Kubuntu had a different looking Control Center, but after looking at it, the options were the same. 

Kpersonalizer seems to be from the KDE team, rather then just a program from Vector Linux.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:02:39 am by vl-end-user » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: