VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Booting Failure Messages  (Read 3009 times)

Pita

• Vectorian
Booting Failure Messages
« on: May 26, 2007, 06:18:56 pm »

VL-5.8-Gold run level 2

If in vasm services I check, at, cron and/or sendmail then on booting I get [failure] instead of [ok] for those services. Yet they are up and running when boot is finished. So I disable them in vasm services.

Why those failure messages?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:21:40 pm by Pita »

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
Re: Booting Failure Messages
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 01:00:27 pm »

Pita,

Check your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory for executable scripts called sendmail and cron. If they are not there, then copy them from the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sample directory into /etc/rc.d/init.d. Re-run VASM to set those services for run level 2.

HTH,
John
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:40:11 pm »

Pita,

Check your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory for executable scripts called sendmail and cron. If they are not there, then copy them from the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sample directory into /etc/rc.d/init.d. Re-run VASM to set those services for run level 2.

HTH,
John

at, cron and sendmail are in /etc/rc.d/init.d as executable scripts. If I set those services with VASM I get the failure message. Not setting them in VASM no [failure] message and no [OK] message. The [failure] message does not prevent those services having been started anyhow.

Unfortunately the boot.log file is truncated and does not show those failure messages. I have reported this in a separate massage and not received any reply sofar.

/etc/rc.d/rc2.d shows @at, @cron and @sendmail which all point to /init.d/.

Regards

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:02:03 pm »

I just found why I get those failure messages on booting for "at", "cron" and "sendmail" when in VASM those services are set.

At the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.M those 3 services are initialized, therefore a second initialization causes the [failure] message when via VASM rc2/3.d  /init.d is run.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/at status
/usr/sbin/atd running with Process ID 3434

/etc/rc.d/init.d/at start
Starting AT daemon............                                       [FAILED]

/etc/rc.d/init.d/at stop
Stopping AT daemon............                                       [  OK  ]

/etc/rc.d/init.d/at start
Starting AT daemon............                                       [  OK  ]

Regards