VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:58:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheros wireless configururation problems  (Read 3945 times)
V3ct0r

« on: May 28, 2007, 12:49:06 pm »

I am not sure if I should ask it here or start another thread, so mods, please bear with me.

I follow this whole how-to but when I get to the point of typing :"ifconfig wlan0 up" I get an error
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device."

and yet I did everything before and all seemed to be alright.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:48:58 pm by lagagnon » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:47:14 pm »

Moved here from the HOWTO section, originally posted in:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1282.0
V3ct0r

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 05:20:53 pm »

Thank you nightflier,

I am using a DWL-G630, with the atheros chipset in my laptop (satellite pro 4200) which is supposed to be supported, yet it doesnt work.

I followed the whole how to thing to get it working, but when I try ifconfig my interface is not there...

I really need this going.
Thanks
V3ct0r

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:46:57 am »

This is what is missing on the how to: to make sure /etc/wireless/interface.conf contains:

INTERFACE="ath0" 
DRIVER="wext"

under "INTERFACE" in the place of "ath0" there must be the name you chose to give your interface (edit: so it seems with the Atheros chipset you must use ath0 for the interface name)
under "DRIVER", in the place of "wext" there must be its proper driver, in my case, as I was using a Atheros chipset, so it was the "wext"since ath_pci seems to not be working somehow

Somehow mine didnt, and after I entered it manually it worked. This should be included in the How-to, for future reference, will save many hours of aggravation for some people who believe the how to will contain all info that they will need.

How come the "how to" doesnt mention that one should check the /etc/wireless/interface.conf I dont know...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:21:29 pm by V3ct0r » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 09:25:52 am »

Hi v3c!
I am glad you solved the problem! I am sure the howto will be fixed. We are a small community and a lot of work is splited in just a few contributors. I am sure you can understand this. I hope you enjoy Vector Linux and our nice community.
cheers, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
V3ct0r

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:01 pm »

Now I do enjoy though, VL is the best =) *smiles showing the broken teeth lost during battle* I can still chew corn look *start chewing corn while many grains fall through the missing teeth* 's alrightz =P
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59:05 am »

Would you please mind posting your modprobe.conf file?
I hadn't included this in the wireless howto because I had never had to use it when configuring a wireless network.

I have a suspicion that the problem you had bringing up the interface is because it was called wlan0. Atheros cards sometimes must use the ath0 interface alias intead of anything else.

Could you please try with ath0 and post the results?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:06:02 am by easuter » Logged

V3ct0r

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:33:38 pm »

My modprobe.conf has this, but I suppose the eth0 entry is useless

Code:
alias ath0 ath_pci
alias eth0 ath_pci
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: