VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL 5.8 can't connect to internet  (Read 3045 times)

amantonas

VL 5.8 can't connect to internet
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:45:56 am »

I installed vectorlinux 5.8 standard on a laptop, and I couldn't get to the internet. I can't do it with VL 5.8 soho. All the other distros(except for suse) work with this D-link network card I have in the side of my laptop dock(I have a dell latitude CPX with the Dock). Can someone help me?

newt

• Vectorian
Re: VL 5.8 can't connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20:16 am »

Did you try starting the wireless card via wifi-radar found in the xfce menu under 'System'?

amantonas

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:31:42 pm »

well, I'm not trying to use wireless, I am using 10/100 ethernet

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:36:01 pm »

OK. To help us help you we need more information. Please post the output from the following commands, run as root in  a terminal:

lsmod
ifconfig
route
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

thanks!
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

newt

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:49:56 pm »

well, I'm not trying to use wireless, I am using 10/100 ethernet

;D - sorry about that.  I saw D-Link and just ASSumed - DOH!  Certainly more information would be very helpful as lagagnon has advised.

One other question would be: did you enable the pcmcia modules during your installation of Standard?

vtel57

• The Cabin In the Woods - a friendly general topic forum.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:04:01 pm »

I installed vectorlinux 5.8 standard on a laptop, and I couldn't get to the internet. I can't do it with VL 5.8 soho. All the other distros(except for suse) work with this D-link network card I have in the side of my laptop dock(I have a dell latitude CPX with the Dock). Can someone help me?

I had the same problem. Make sure eth0 is "up" and that DHCP is on auto in the Networking setup.

Luck! :)

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***