VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 10:07:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Podcast aggregator install help and introduction  (Read 1608 times)
Wilzer

« on: June 05, 2007, 04:35:30 pm »

Hello, I am very new to the Linux community so I need quite a bit of hand holding. I have downloaded the deb and tar versions of Icepodder  but am having trouble installing. I believe the deb version is not the one for me but I cant seem to figure out how to install the tar version. help would be appreciated. Im not opposed to RTFM type advice or straight up hand holding. I just need to know where to start. I would prefer to learn to fish than be given a fish but I need to know where to fish.

TBH I kinda jumped in this Linux thing head first as an only averagely savy computer user and am kinda feeling like Im taking an advanced trig course without ever learning addition and subtraction. Ok enough with the poor metaphors ....thx in advance for any help
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:47:45 pm »

This is directly from the fourth line down of the downloads page from the IcePodder website:

"To install the normal package, simply unzip the .tar.gz file and run install.sh as root."

OK, so what you need to do is

1) download the package
2) open a console terminal and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the file to. You do this with the "cd" command, e.g.: cd downloads
3) run the command "tar xjvf IcePodder-5.4.tar.bz2"
4) that unzips the file to its own directory, you then cd to that directory
5) type "su" and then enter your root password
6) run the command "install.sh"

It is a bit easier doing this in the Thunar file manager (if you use VL Standard) or in Konquereor (if you use SOHO). You can choose to do it that way if you like ...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Wilzer

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 07:33:01 pm »

Gosh I hate to ask...but now where do I go to run it?.........Ive tried everything I think its telling me

does this mean anything? is my install corrupted?

Website is at http://icepodder.fryingoverajungle.net
If you need support goto http://icepodder.fryingoverajungle.net/forum/

You can start IcePodder with: /usr/bin/icepodder

vector://home/wilzer1/Desktop/icepodder
root:# /usr/bin/icepodder
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "CastPodderGui.py", line 26, in ?
    import wxversion
ImportError: No module named wxversion
vector://home/wilzer1/Desktop/icepodder
root:#
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:07:42 pm by Wilzer » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:36:17 am »

You must not have the wx GUI toolkit installed (either that, or the Python bindings). Unless you have a very specific preference for icepodder, you may want to consider akregator, which comes with the kdepim package, and is an excellent tool. Used it a bit myself...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: