VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 11:39:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.8 can't connect to internet  (Read 2697 times)
amantonas

« on: May 29, 2007, 08:45:56 am »

I installed vectorlinux 5.8 standard on a laptop, and I couldn't get to the internet. I can't do it with VL 5.8 soho. All the other distros(except for suse) work with this D-link network card I have in the side of my laptop dock(I have a dell latitude CPX with the Dock). Can someone help me?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 09:20:16 am »

Did you try starting the wireless card via wifi-radar found in the xfce menu under 'System'?
amantonas

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:31:42 pm »

well, I'm not trying to use wireless, I am using 10/100 ethernet
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »

OK. To help us help you we need more information. Please post the output from the following commands, run as root in  a terminal:

lsmod
ifconfig
route
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

thanks!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:49:56 pm »

well, I'm not trying to use wireless, I am using 10/100 ethernet

Grin - sorry about that.  I saw D-Link and just ASSumed - DOH!  Certainly more information would be very helpful as lagagnon has advised.

One other question would be: did you enable the pcmcia modules during your installation of Standard?
vtel57

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:04:01 pm »

I installed vectorlinux 5.8 standard on a laptop, and I couldn't get to the internet. I can't do it with VL 5.8 soho. All the other distros(except for suse) work with this D-link network card I have in the side of my laptop dock(I have a dell latitude CPX with the Dock). Can someone help me?

I had the same problem. Make sure eth0 is "up" and that DHCP is on auto in the Networking setup.

Luck! Smiley

Registered Linux User #423757

~V.T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: