VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 05:47:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] what Xserver on VL 5.8 gold for P233 64RAM  (Read 5078 times)
Telemaniaka

« on: May 29, 2007, 11:22:20 am »

the computer in question is an old P 233MHz with 64MB RAM in school
I tried VL 5.1STD but couldn't startx so I put VL 3.0 (always wanted to see how fast the older versions are) which worked incredible until we put a LAN card and I tried to find the Automatic Hardware Detection. After an hour I got frustrated and installed 5.8 Gold but without the X since I had some doubts about the chance of it working on such an old PC

VL3.0 used Xfree-3.3.6 so should I just try that?
is it even a good idea to mess err.... experiment with it like that?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:27:51 am by Telemaniaka » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:11:40 pm »

5.8 should work fine as long as you have some swap space available.

The X that ships with 5.8 is 6.9.
Although I'm not sure that would make any significant difference. But in case it does, just use the GUI to configure it, and then after that, se the runlevel to 3 to keep the Xserver from loading.

5.8 GOLD should have of course better hardware support/detection.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:36:51 pm »

I've installed 5.8 Standard on my Toshiba Libretto SS2020s (233MHZ Pentium, one with 64MB of RAM, one with 96MB of RAM) and performance with Xfce 4.4.0 using the stock X.org 6.9.0 server is quite acceptable so long as you avoid applications that need more than 64MB (Firefox, Seamonkey, OpenOffice, XaraLX, most of the games pack).  Use either Opera or Dillo for your browser in 64MB.

Enjoy!
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Telemaniaka

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:40:13 pm »

ok I'll try the X that ships with 5.8 and in the worst case scenario I'll reinstall (I should have done that before posting)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:05 pm »

You could try a ligther desktop instead xfce, as openbox or similar. Disable all innecesary memory usage (like virtual desktops, virtual terminals, applets, services you dont use, etc). The apps in 5.8 std are ligth enough, but I think you will have troubles with web browsing. Almost every browser but dillo are heavy. Dillo have some lack of features. You can use dillo for general browsing and move to another if a site doesnt render properly.
Hope this help, let us know how is going, I really like to know about how can vec run in minimal hardware.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Telemaniaka

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:03:01 pm »

yes I am going to use IceWM and I already have the packages downloaded and ready on a USB
my concern was if the X server itself had any minimal system requirements
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »

As MOE-lnx said you should be OK with IceWM as long as you have lots of swap space activated. See this thread:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1025.0

It shows that with IceWM you will use 39MB (excluding cache), but to boot the X system and IceWM takes 142MB, so you need swap for sure. Your machine will not be fast and running Firefox or any other larger browser or larger app such as OO or The GImp will take forever to load due to the requirement of needing swap space.

If you plan to use that box with VL consider all the above suggestions from previous posters and consider using only very lightweight apps. You might also want to consider an even lighter distro such as Puppy or DSL. My 2 cents worth anyways...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »

I think the x server will be not a huge difference on that machine, but yes the wm and other stuff, as lagagnon mentioned. Probably you can add Deli Linux to the lagagnon list. In addition, with an older x server you reduce your chances of video card an apps compatibility.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:44:13 pm »

I know for a fact that VL 5.1 Standard works well with XFCE on 64 MB machines, just steer clear of the big apps mentioned already. You may have had an X configuration issue when you tried it.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Telemaniaka

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 08:27:08 am »

after I type startx it freezes with a black screen for 2 minute and 20 seconds and then it loads normally except the serial mouse is not working (I tried every possible option in the mouse configuration in vasm ).
The CPU-load meter in htop was a bit jumpy even at alt+tab but the overall speed was nice and I could even use Opera without problems.

But it just couldn't compare with VL3.0

so I'll stick with it for now. The computer will be a "Learn Linux" box so no real work will be done on it and I think I can find some better parts for it soon so VL3.0 will do the trick until then
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:24:56 am »

..., except the serial mouse is not working...

Edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the stanza for Input Device Mouse 0 line from:

Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"

to

Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: