VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:46:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation fails while copying veclinux.tlz  (Read 8011 times)
Maniqui

« on: May 29, 2007, 07:18:21 pm »

Hi all. Newbie here!

I'm new to this forum and new to this little VL thing (and also a linux newbie).

I'm trying to install VL 5.8 Standard in a Compaq Presario 1245 (160MB RAM, 4.2GB HD, AMD k6-2, etc).
The installation fails when it starts to copy veclinux.tlz.

I have partitioned the HD like following:
- 1st partition: 2560MB  for /root
- 2nd partition: 1500 MB for /home
- 3rd partition: /swap

I will describe what the screen shows:
- after the formatting/mounting of each partition, a progress bar appears
- it shows the progress of copying veclinux.tlz to the HD, about 800MB (is that possible? I think it's what the size of the extracted thing).
- it starts copying... 1%, 2%... but suddenly...
- it says that the file has been copied successfully. But I think it's wrong. It can't copy 800MB in just 5 or 10 seconds.
- then, a modal tells: "the file is corruped or cannot be extracted... blablabla" (i can't remember the whole text)
- after that, I havce a console and I can execute a MC and some other commands.

This happened each time I tried to install VL (4 or 5 times).

Yeah, I know, I should check:
- the md5 (i think it is fine, but not checked yet)
- check if the CD has been burned OK (i think it is fine)

But, in the meanwhile, I hope anyone could give me an advice.

Thanks and excuse my english.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »

Sounds like either a bad burn or a bad MD5

Bigpaws
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:31:09 am »

Yeah, I know, I should check:
- the md5 (i think it is fine, but not checked yet)
- check if the CD has been burned OK (i think it is fine)

You know it  Wink.
My personal opinion also is you should stay with just a swap and / partition, not /home separated, because you are a little short of disk space.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Maniqui

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »

I was able to install Vectorlinux (from the same source, that is, the burned CD-RW that couldn't complete the installation in the old-machine) in a VMWare virtual machine.

I have also checked the md5 checksum of the downloaded .iso file and it's ok.

So, I have re-burned the .iso in the same CD-RW using the same burner, at 4X.
Again, the installation fails when it starts to copy the veclinux.tlz file.

Some questions:

- Is there anyway to complete/pick-up the installation from the point when it fails?
- Would a common CD-R (not re-writable) make any difference?
- Which other easy method do you suggest me to install VectorLinux? I have a floppy drive and 1.1 USB ports (and of course, the CD drive)..
- Could it be possible that the installation fails because during the format/mounting process (the step before copying veclinux.tlz) the CD drive is idle so it takes few seconds to "activate" again? (I doubt it)

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I have played a little with VL in the VMWare and it looks really beautiful and fantastic, so I would really like to have this distro in my old machine.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:47 am »

I suspect you have a hardware problem in that old machine. In my experience of installing VL in many old machines I have seen that problem you are having (assuming the CD burn is good which it seems to be) due to (in this order):

1) faulty hard drive or partitions
2) faulty system RAM

but probably No. 1 (#2 manifests as system lock during install, which you don't have). If I were you I would find out the exact make and model of the hard drive, then run the Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ) hard drive diagnostics to see if there is a problem. You can use the same CD to run "memtest".

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Maniqui

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:25:40 pm »

hi Lagagnon

I have run all suggested test (by Toshiba) for the Toshiba HD.
They passed all OK, so a problem in the HD may be discarded

Now I'm running MemTest but it's taking many time. As you said, the system doesn't lock during install, so I hope there is no problem with RAM memory (but let's wait for MemTest results).

Also, I have tried burning the iso at 4X speed in a CD-R, but I have had exactly the same problem.
Sad
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:52 pm »

Did you try to install with no acpi switch?

Bigpaws
Maniqui

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 06:05:34 pm »

Hi Bigpaws,

could you please tell me more about that no acpi switch?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:37:29 pm »

Through using the forum search:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1032.0

Bigpaws
Maniqui

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:34:13 pm »

Well, here again. Thanks for the advice, bigpaws.

I write at the same time I'm trying several things.

First, some findings:

- an option in BIOS that says: "Large Disk (can't remember) Mode", with the options "DOS" or "Other". It suggest to choose "Other" when using UNIX, Novel or other OS.
Changing this option to "Other" didn't work althought the installation reached to 4% and failed as before.

- doing a dmesg after a failed installation showed some messages:
"buffer I/O error on device hdc,logical block..."
"the failed read 10 packet command"
and many more.

I have searched this messages in internet an read some suggested solutions (most coming from Ubuntu forums):

- change the CD-ROM drive -> not possible right now.

- using some switches (as suggested by Bigpaws) like acpi=off, noacpi, irqpoll, etc. Tried some of them, but didn't worked either: the installation failed at the same points.

- removing a RAM module (because it could be playing bad with the CD-ROM drive)... I removed the 128MB RAM module, leaving the system with the 32MB RAM original module. Then, run the install by typing "linux acpi=off noacpi irqpoll".
And you know what? The installation have advanced over the point when it used to fail.
All the .tlz files were copied very fast (so, I suspected something went wrong), then it installed all the software I have chosen (I did a default install, just to test, so all software was going to be installed).

But after rebooting the first time (after all files are copied) the OS didn't boot. I have tried using "linux root=/dev/hda1/ ro" as it's suggested but... no luck (don't ask me exactly what happened).

So, right now, as I'm writing this, I'm performing a new installation, from zero, with just 32MB RAM and booting just "linux" (w/o any switch).
And you know what? It has advanced to the 5%... very very slow.
I will wait and then come back to report the results.

I hope I can add my 128MB RAM Module after installation, (if installation is a success)...
What do you think?

Thanks again and excuse my rough english.

Maniqui

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 08:49:43 am »

No luck yet.
So far, every attempt has failed.

I think the problem is the CD drive, so I may invest some money to replace it.

In the meanwhile, I will keep trying and looking for alternative installation methods.
Also, I will try a DSL just to see if I'm able to install it.

Thanks.
Maniqui

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 07:53:22 pm »

More findings:

I have run a Maxtor utility (PowerMax) and it reports some problems with the HD (telling that it should be replaced inmediatly).
Of course, I don't know how trusty can be a diagnostic done by a Maxtor tool over a Toshiba HD.

When I ran the Toshiba tool, all tested passed OK...

I think I should run some more tests and maybe buy both a CD drive and a HD drive.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:16 am »

I have run a Maxtor utility (PowerMax) and it reports some problems with the HD (telling that it should be replaced inmediatly). Of course, I don't know how trusty can be a diagnostic done by a Maxtor tool over a Toshiba HD.
Don't buy a new drive because of this... a Toshiba drive will look severely broken to a Maxtor HD diagnostic tool. The other way around is also true.

OTOH, 4.2 GB is sort of small. so if you do get yourself a new drive, you'll have that solved.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Maniqui

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:17:17 am »

Ok. Thanks.

I have run several HD diagnostics tools and every test was passed OK by the Toshiba drive. The only one that reported a failing HD was Maxtor PowerMax, so I will ignore it.

About the 4.2 GB size, I don't care too much, because I'm going to use this old machine just to learn, experiment and browse the web.
But... do you think 4.2GB is few space for VectorLinux?
As I understand, VectorLinux is a distro aimed to old machines, with low specs profiles.
Most of old machines have little amount of disk space.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 08:44:16 am »

Ok. Thanks.

I have run several HD diagnostics tools and every test was passed OK by the Toshiba drive. The only one that reported a failing HD was Maxtor PowerMax, so I will ignore it.

About the 4.2 GB size, I don't care too much, because I'm going to use this old machine just to learn, experiment and browse the web.
But... do you think 4.2GB is few space for VectorLinux?
As I understand, VectorLinux is a distro aimed to old machines, with low specs profiles.
Most of old machines have little amount of disk space.

Figure a full install is about 2.2 gigs, plus any swap space.  It should leave you with at least 1.5 gigs of extra space which should be enough to play with for a little while.  Yes, VL is geared to work on older machines and (once you can get it installed) it should work fine.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: