VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:28:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux SOHO 5.1.1 Issues  (Read 3120 times)
Cannoncreek

« on: May 30, 2007, 04:39:09 am »

Our office of 50+ computers is siwtching to this version of Linux.

I was wondering are'nt some of the programs proprietary (check spelling) on this version.

Heard it had RealPLayer and Adobe PDF Reader? I'm just afradi that if we switch to this version we might get burned by the copyright zealots or somthing.

Thanks for reading. :-)
Cannoncreek

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:09:06 am »

BTW, i'm also concerned with the hardware compatability of some of our comupters:

These computers are using an intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz processor and this motherboard:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=531&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=0
Board's Features:     
VIA® P4M800 & VT8237R
Realtek ALC655 6-Channel audio CODEC
VIA® VT6103L 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY
Integrated S3 UniChrome Pro 2D/3D Graphics

The one's in bold is what concerns me the most. :-(
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:44 am »

Our office of 50+ computers is siwtching to this version of Linux.

I was wondering are'nt some of the programs proprietary (check spelling) on this version.

Heard it had RealPLayer and Adobe PDF Reader? I'm just afradi that if we switch to this version we might get burned by the copyright zealots or somthing.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Don't recall seeing realplayer, but Adobe PDF reader is free. As far as I know, everything included with the package is either free stuff or open source. Load away.............

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:40:16 am »

I, also, cannot recall realplayer or adobe pdf reader being included in the 5.1.1 SOHO ISO - I'm farily certain they are not due to licensing.  So you should be fine in that respect.

The hardware concern is another beast - If I had to guess I'd bet that you can get them working just fine but it's only a guess Grin
Cannoncreek

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:23:17 am »

newtor & retired1af: Thanks for the clarification :-) I must stop this habit of opening 20+ tabs on mozilla when hunting for a Open Source O.S. :lol:

Anyways so if I were to install "Vector Linux SOHO 5.1.1" on lets say less thans 100 computers in our office I would'nt be burned by the makers of this product. I mean I might get sued for installing that many using only one copy?

Real sorry for asking something as dumb as this. :-(  I'm pratically a newborn when it comes to Linux. :-(
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:39:27 am »

Anyways so if I were to install "Vector Linux SOHO 5.1.1" on lets say less thans 100 computers in our office I would'nt be burned by the makers of this product. I mean I might get sued for installing that many using only one copy?

To begin with you should have a "test" system that you try it out on first to make sure things will work as you expect and that the hardware will be usable as expected.  Also, you can determine any extra steps that will be needed for the rest of the systems.  Since you're looking at a company-wide changeover you should definitely spend some time testing it out on a single system first.

Regarding the legalities of installing VL SOHO 5.1.1 on 90+ computers, you _should_ be fine but DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.  Please send a PM to one of the devs for a concrete answer (try vector, JohnB316, or Joe1962).
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 09:53:51 am »

You also might want to consider user reactions and requirements to Linux in general before beginning the changeover. I was involved late in a change from Win to Linux at a non-profit organization that had about 30 Windows machines. That was 2 years ago. At the time Firefox could not deal with one governmental reporting website due to the bad coding of that website - but it was a vital one. Secondly, OpenOffice made a mess of one vital reporting spreadsheet. It was a deal breaker just those two things alone and it was decided to switch back to Windows due to the annoyance factor experienced by the users. Alll that stuff needs to be investigated and  a solution in place beforehand.

If I were to do such a changeover I would first of all remove IE and MS Office on a few machines and substitute OO and Firefox on a few Win machines and see how the users take to them first and get their feedback, then slowly roll out Linux on a few machines and get more feedback before doing a massive changeover. Just my humble opinion - but I'm sure you have thought all that through....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 07:00:32 pm »

Point well taken!!! There's nothing worse than listening to 100 users bitch and moan about new software and how it's SOOOOOOOOO different than what they've used before!  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:07:45 pm »

It's been several months since I had a computer with 5.1 SOHO installed, but I don't believe RealPlayer or Adobe Reader were installed by default. Both RealPlayer and Adobe Reader may be downloaded from their respective maker's Web sites and easily and legally installed. Or don't install them at all. There are open source alternatives that are sufficient for many users.

I think lagagnon gave some good advice about easing into a switch from Windows to VectorLinux. People tend to be very resistant to change and to want to use what they're used to.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 07:18:42 pm »

I agree with lagagnon and Granny, I think could be nice to have a thread about nice open source apps for Windows, hmmm I will start it at the Lounge.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: