VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 11:28:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Few Questions  (Read 2002 times)
catelee2u

« on: May 31, 2007, 11:17:10 am »

Hi,
I'm new to VL and loving it, works on an old pentium 2 I had knocking about brilliantly. I have managed to mess up a few bits though and would like some help straightening it out.  I mistakenly tried to install KDE on here (its only a pentium 2) and then changed my mind and removed all the kde files but now I don't have the original cool login window and background...how can I fix that please?

Also I would like to know how to set the boot splash screen to 1024x768 as I installed VL with a smaller monitor and set it to 800x600 but now it looks too small and I'm finicky.

Another question which is probably un-VL related but since I set up VL on the pentium2 I got a KVM switch to share the monitor with another pc running openSuse 10.2. When I switch between desktops if i have one screen set correctly so it fits exactly then the other will be shifted off horizontally by about 5 mm. I tried editing xorg.conf so they have the same settings (refresh rates, resolutions and screen size) but it didn't seem to help. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Catherine
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:16 am »

Another question which is probably un-VL related but since I set up VL on the pentium2 I got a KVM switch to share the monitor with another pc running openSuse 10.2. When I switch between desktops if i have one screen set correctly so it fits exactly then the other will be shifted off horizontally by about 5 mm. I tried editing xorg.conf so they have the same settings (refresh rates, resolutions and screen size) but it didn't seem to help. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

If you're using an LCD monitor then you likely have an auto-adjust button.  I also use a KVM for 3 different boxes and when switching between them (even though they are all same resolution/refresh) have to push the auto-adjust button.  I think some CRT's even have this time of button.  Takes about 1 second and I'm off and running with a good screen  Grin

Unfortunately I can't make any recommendations on your other problems but I'm sure someone will stop by to help you out.

Cheers!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:08:11 pm »

now I don't have the original cool login window and background...how can I fix that please?
This should do it:
Code:
slapt-get --install --reinstall kdm-small

Also I would like to know how to set the boot splash screen to 1024x768 as I installed VL with a smaller monitor and set it to 800x600 but now it looks too small and I'm finicky.
Wouldn't a low resolution make everything look big (just a thought)?
I'm assuming it's just during boot, try to reinstall lilo with "vliloconf" and choose the appropriate settings.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:38:33 am »

Is your video card an NVIDIA? If so, one of your boxes probably uses the proprietary "nvidia" driver and the other the open source "nv" driver. Aside from performance differences, there is a slight horizontal shift. So you could install the proprietary driver on the other computer so you don't have to auto-adjust. Hope it helps.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
catelee2u

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:50:05 pm »

Hi,
Thankyou very much for the help. I followed your instructions for slapt-get and it put back the login screen just right.

The resetting of lilo didn't quite work because the original boot image seems to have gone but I'll either find it online or get another similar one. 
Thanks for the tip on the graphic cards. You are probably right but it may be messy to sort out because one pc is Nvidia Riva TNT2 and the other is ATI radeon 9550 (which I have tried installing the driver for at least 10 times using a multitude of methods and it just wont use it -on open suse 10.2). I'll just try to put up with it for now as I have burnt out on installing drivers for the next 2 years lol.

Again thanks very much...feel much better now VL looks neat on startup again.
All the Best,
Catherine
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: