VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:01:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.8 std Gold - wireless issues  (Read 2201 times)
Alf

« on: June 02, 2007, 08:53:20 am »

I ran the live CD and it errored out on X - it always does because of the video, so no biggie there.  I ran VASM, set everything up and it came up like a champ.  I went into VASM from the desktop and configured the wireless adapter (ath0).  The lights started blinking... I queried the available wireless networks and saw them there, pretty as day.  I connected to linksys and it showed connected successfully.  I checked the connection and it looked pristene, alternating between 36 and 54Mbps.    And er... basically that's it.  I may as well not have a network card in because all I can do is see and connect to the available wireless networks, but I have no network connectivity whatsoever.  I have the network set for DHCP, I've tried static, I've restarted the router... I'm stumped.

The first time I booted, I did have the icon for wireless and a PCMCIA card in the task bar and it NEVER came up again, but it didn't work that time at all - would not even see the network card.  Every other time I've booted since then it's been a cinch to get the PCMCIA card active, see the networks, connect... but that's as far as I get.  Any ideas?
Alf

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 08:35:59 pm »

SOLVED!  Never mind... I went in to the VASM network and even though I was configured for DHCP, I set up the host and DNS any way... and I'm writing from VL on my laptop right now!  Finally!  One happy laptop at last!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:09:29 am »

You may want to check out wifi-radar.  It lets you see what networks are available and connect with a click.  There is a new version (1.9.Cool in testing right now.

Regards,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: