VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 11:17:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Is KDE possible to run on older specs, P2-type processors and 192MB of RAM?  (Voting closed: June 09, 2007, 11:17:50 am)
Yes, of course. Smiley - 9 (60%)
Well, might be a bit tough. - 4 (26.7%)
No, needs more RAM - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE 3.5.x on older specs  (Read 6068 times)
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 06:01:40 am »

Okay, here goes nightflier and hanu...

I tried last night to do a lot of experimentations.
I found that on my current specs just a plain start of WindowMaker only takes around 42-45MB of RAM, I have 185MB free from the beginning. Pretty good I would say.

Then I started getting fired up again as I have done earlier with WindowMaker.
I started Kopete, Konversation, Firefox and Audacious. I thought that a good test with some heavier QT apps will give me a good ground to see how well it works in comparison with the heavier WM's/DE's such as GNOME, KDE, AfterStep and maybe some other ones as well.

I had a about 5-7 tabs open in Firefox, Audacious playing a huge, around 270MB mp3 and then I had some Kopete windows (MSN) open at the same time. I used Konversation a bit less just then but I figured that I will still be able to work well without a lot of swapping taking place. And so it did, I had a RAM usage of around 100-110MB/185MB when I had those running (Kopete, Konversation, Firefox, Audacious). And the swap was only taking about 25-30MB/1020 something MB's.  Roll Eyes

I have done a large test previously with WindowMaker when I had KSirc, Kopete, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat 7.0, AmaroK, the GIMP, Armgetron Advanced and even a movie playing in Mplayer and it worked. The movie was in perfect sync all the time. Smiley I really must say that users with VL with older specifications should really go with WindowMaker as it gives a huge benefit of speed, stability and most of all, a really beautiful & powerful WM without any crash-risks and useless packages lying around.

Unfortunately I don't have the screenshot of the gigantic WindowMaker test with all those apps running anymore. I accidentally deleted it but I promise that I was telling the truth when having all those huge apps running at the same time.

I hope to see a new version of WindowMaker later on, hopefully not having gone through a really big change in appreance and workability. The WindowMaker package in the Standard 5.8 repo (0.92) if I remember correctly is a very good package, a warm thanks to easuter for building it. It is really appreciated. Thanks a lot! Smiley

Hanumizzle and nightflier, I hope this type of answers are satisfactory  Roll Eyes

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:31 am »

Yup. Thanks.  Smiley
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 04:04:19 am »

Hanumizzle and nightflier, I hope this type of answers are satisfactory  Roll Eyes

You didn't need to tell me WindowMaker pwnz all.

Already knew...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: