VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 07:58:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Is KDE possible to run on older specs, P2-type processors and 192MB of RAM?  (Voting closed: June 09, 2007, 11:17:50 am)
Yes, of course. Smiley - 9 (60%)
Well, might be a bit tough. - 4 (26.7%)
No, needs more RAM - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: KDE 3.5.x on older specs  (Read 6084 times)
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« on: June 02, 2007, 11:17:50 am »

Well, here goes. A post regarding KDE on older specs as I myself have.
I find KDE to run very well with 192MB of RAM. Just thought to ask some opinions regarding this matter.
Thanks for your answers!  Roll Eyes

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:32:01 pm »

I have VL SOHO installed on a P2 266Mhz and 256 ram. It runs quite good, I use it as a file server. The only problem is with media, it is a little slow when playing divx.

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 02:52:06 pm »

On my P3 it runs very fast, so a P2 would do just fine I think. No problems here, the only thing is you need more then 124MB ram, then you're good to go!

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:00:06 pm »

I am not a kde user, so just guessing. I think you are near the limit with that amount of ram. Kde will run, but you need to be careful to avoid swaping. I use the gimp on a std on a 128mb machine to edit large photos, once the gimp start, I can work smoothly. No multitask during that job of course Cry
If I start other apps, I need to use swap. That on xfce.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 03:02:16 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 05:43:26 pm »

...I find KDE to run very well with 192MB of RAM.
Sure, KDE might load OK to the desktop, but when you load any large application such as OO, Firefox, The Gimp, and others, you will undoubtedly require the use of swap, at which point the machine will slow down considerably. Personally I believe 384MB of RAM is a minimum RAM amount to use KDE and its associated applications effectively.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:47:19 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 08:49:49 pm »

Can't say on the "real" hardware front, but a vmware vm inside winxp SP2 ( Roll Eyes ) with 256 MB RAM and 256 MB swap works very well with KDE on SOHO 5.8.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 03:38:18 am »

I have one P3-667/192 and SOHO 5.1 runs acceptably on it. Heavy apps are somewhat sluggish, but that happens in Xfce as well as KDE. I prefer Opera for browsing and e-mail on that one.
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 05:29:06 am »

I was never overly confronted by KDE's execution speed on a 500MHz PIII. What was of concern was memory usage. I could, and did, run KDE on 200M of RAM but it did not take much to initiate swapping. Over time, I found that it was preferable to use a light window manager and, when possible, Dillo for webbrowsing (the Gecko browsers are a bit much with regards to RAM usage). Of course, running lean was important to me because I often have compiles running in the background (and that often requires quite a bit of RAM).

My advice would be to get some more RAM for your machine if you wish to continue using KDE on it. While processor speed is not insignificant with insufficient memory, the majority of your computer's time is spent waiting on disk activity.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 12:36:52 pm »

A lot of things are possible but what one is willing to "put up with" is a completely different question. What has been asked can easily be done but I wouldn't want to stay there very long.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 05:20:18 pm »

I don't quite see the point of the question. Is it *possible* to run KDE on a slow computer with 192 megs of RAM? Of course, since people report they have done/are doing it. Would you *enjoy* running KDE on a slow computer with 192 megs of RAM? If you ask me, no, I would not. If you ask someone else, the answer might be "yes."

I can't abide slow, low-RAM computers--and I do most definitely consider 192 megs a low-RAM computer. I know people say KDE runs fine on 192 megs or 256 megs, but I sure didn't find it that way. Sixteen months ago I got a new computer because I simply couldn't stand running VectorLinux on a Celeron 500 with 512 megs of RAM. Sure, if it were my only computer and I had no option to get a better one, I'd survive. But enjoy it? No way!

So I gave that computer to a nonprofit and bought a new one on a very good sale. I'm extremely glad I did.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:45 am »

Nice to see commited Vectorites answering and commenting. I started the poll based on that I could get some opinions are maybe switch WM/DE to something else. I decided now to go with WindowMaker since it's light-weight, beautiful with the right themes and very versatile compared to perhaps KDE or the larger DE's.

Thanks for the answers! Please keep on having a debate. It's always a pleasure to read the forum when you guys/girls/ladies/gentlemen are so commited and eager to share your opinions. Smiley

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:47 am »

Sounds like fun. I'm sure many would be interested in hearing how it works for you. A post with your results would be appreciated.
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 10:11:40 am »

Nightflier, you want to hear about how WindowMaker works me or did I misinterpret your reply?
Sorry if I did.  Undecided

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 12:06:04 pm »

Nightflier, you want to hear about how WindowMaker works

On his behalf, yes.

It's true: WindowMaker has a ton of themes, and goes quite well with the GNUstep environment...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 05:56:58 pm »

Yes, tell us how well that setup is working for you. Other people with similar hardware could benefit from your experimentation.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: